1957 Trunk lock cover spring

57DukeofAle

57DukeofAle

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The cover where you insert the key to unlock the trunk popped off. Nothing appears to be broken but I can't reconnect the cover. Has anyone had experience with this problem? I found a place online that sells the parts and called them but they did not know anything about how you install any of the parts involved. The spring is still in the device.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The cover where you insert the key to unlock the trunk popped off. Nothing appears to be broken but I can't reconnect the cover. Has anyone had experience with this problem? I found a place online that sells the parts and called them but they did not know anything about how you install any of the parts involved. The spring is still in the device.
Just checked the CASCO catalog and they have just the flip lid and just the spring available. I have not looked but if you still have the spring and lid there must be just a simple 'C' clip to hold it and it broke. No mention of it in the catalog but see if you can find one in the bins of a hardware store you may get lucky. Pull the assembly and take a look. Can't do any more harm.
Call CASCO or Hills and see if that is the case but they have the whole assembly less the lock cylinder for about $38.

I don't think there is any clip holding the spring. I think the short end on the left which faces the rear of the car just fits somewhere in the sleeve so it doesn't move when you open the cover. I guess I will have to take it out of the car to get the cover to engage with the spring at the far right of the picture. I have only had the car for a week.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Dukie
Trunk Lock view.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The cover where you insert the key to unlock the trunk popped off.
TIP- when you post to the forum, you will get more responses if you choose a specific brief subject that summarizes what your post is about. Your subject "1957 Thunderbird. Trunk Lock" has been revised. You will also note Thunderbird has been removed. Since we are exclusive to Ford Thunderbirds you can omit the make & model of the car.
model-year.jpg

I have re-keyed and repaired many of these locks. The only thing that holds the cover in place is the spring.

IMG-6554.jpg

Inspect the tabs on the lock door where the spring attaches for wear or damage.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

IMG-6556.jpg

Thank you.

I just bought this car last week. The part appears to be new as there is not a speck of dirt on it. The spring in your picture is not like mine. I have a 1957 Bird. I will take the part out tomorrow and take photos.

Dukie

Back