1957 trunk lid won't stay open

D

dadspony

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The trunk lid on my car won't stay up when all the way open. It falls back down about half way. Springs are in place so my question is, is there any adjustment for tension on springs?
Thanks for any information.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The title of your post is vital to getting responses. Nobody is going to know what your post is about when it's titled "1957 D-code trunk lid".

Title revised.
model-year.jpg

I'm not aware of an adjustment. You can buy new springs. I didn't see any easy way to remove old springs and put new ones on. So I fixed mine by adding an axillary spring strut.

The trunk lid on my car won't stay up when all the way open. It falls back down about half way. Springs are in place so my question is, is there any adjustment for tension on springs?
The trunk "springs" are actually torsion bars going from left to right. If you remove the hinge covers you can adjust them up or down. I think there's two or three notches . You can use a breaker bar and small socket as a tool to adjust them up. Hope that helps.

Wow thank you so much. I will let you know how it goes and thanks again.
Be careful. Those bars are under a lot of tension (Compression?) to have enough force to keep the lid up.

Common problem. I believe it’s Prestige that sells a spring with more tension to make the lid stay up.

The trunk "springs" are actually torsion bars going from left to right. If you remove the hinge covers you can adjust them up or down. I think there's two or three notches . You can use a breaker bar and small socket as a tool to adjust them up. Hope that helps.
Not on a 55 - 57 bird. They are coil springs. There is no adjustment.

Back