1957 torque values for rear suspension

Boozeman

Boozeman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Rebuilding the suspension on my '57, and I can't find any torque values for the nut on the front of the leaf spring or the nuts on the shackles on the rear of the leaf spring. The manual specifies 33-48 ft. lbs for the nuts on the bottom of the spring clip (U-bolts), but no mention of the rest of the fasteners. Anybody found this info. anywhere? Any and all help much appreciated!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

there are chars for torque ratings for various size nuts and bolts both fine and coarse threads. That is usually sufficient

There probably are no specifications and as a rule these connections had no torque specifications as they are not flat surfaces with gaskets and fine machining. Just crank them down as tight as your wrench hand can do and you should be fine. these bolts are not prone to loosening over use. The bushings do all the work and all you need to do is keep them in place. 40 ft/lbs should be a good goal. Not too tight but enough to keep them in place. At least you can be consistent.

Thank you fofr the replies. I snugged the nuts down to the general recommended torques for the bolt sizes, which is 33 ft./lbs. on the shackle and 60 ft./lbs. on the front of the spring. I just got to thinking that since these are locknuts, maybe the recommended torque would be lower to allow the bushings to do their job. Figured I'd throw it out here to be sure. I'll leave them where I initially set them at.

Back