1957 T5 conversion

Gearjammer

Gearjammer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’ve looked at the Mummert website regarding his T5 conversion bell house adapter, driveshaft modification and yoke, et al. For those of you who have already done the conversion, can you provide a list of the parts needed and additional modifications you made? The mechanic I am using ( who hasn’t done this previously) is assuming the OEM clutch system needs to be changed to a hydraulic system ( master/slave cylinders) with a different pedal setup etc. I don’t recall reading any posts relating to this conversion which mention any modifications that extensive.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since we are an all Thunderbird site, you can omit that from subjects to shorten them. I revised this for you.

I didn’t use the Mummert kit but did do the conversion using a homemade adapter. Obviously you’ll need to add a clutch pedal - probably best to find an original assembly. I did use a hydraulic clutch but also relocated the battery to the trunk as I believe the master cylinder might not clear the original battery.
It may be possible to use an original T’Bird manual transmission clutch mechanism? Other modifications include transmission mount, new driveshaft, speedometer cable adapter and chopping a big hole in the driveshaft tunnel for the shifter and access to the transmission top.
But I do love it and the overdrive is great at keeping the RPM’s down at speed!
I could provide pictures if it would help.

I replaced the automatic in my '56 with a T-5 manual using the Mummert's adaptor. I installed an original clutch pedal assembly and flywheel and clutch assembly. I flipped the original transmission crossmember upside down and drilled new bolt holes to mount the T-5 in the car. I used a driveshaft from a C2 Corvette after installing the correct rear u-joint and front u-joint input shaft. I closed the shifter hole in the transmission tunnel and opened a new hole tor the T-5 shifter. I installed an original 'Thunderbird shift knob on the T-5 shifter. I installed a mechanical drive speedometer convertor that uses a speed sensor from GPS.
I have driven my car approximately 10,000 miles since the change without any problems.
Jim Yergin

I didn’t use the Mummert kit but did do the conversion using a homemade adapter. Obviously you’ll need to add a clutch pedal - probably best to find an original assembly. I did use a hydraulic clutch but also relocated the battery to the trunk as I believe the master cylinder might not clear the original battery.
It may be possible to use an original T’Bird manual transmission clutch mechanism? Other modifications include transmission mount, new driveshaft, speedometer cable adapter and chopping a big hole in the driveshaft tunnel for the shifter and access to the transmission top.
But I do love it and the overdrive is great at keeping the RPM’s down at speed!
I could provide pictures if it would help.
Photos are always welcome. Thanks

Photos are always welcome. Thanks
I should have mentioned in my original post that I have the manual 3 speed/OD transmission with an OEM clutch pedal assembly. I’m assuming from the two responses received, that changing out this clutch to a hydraulic system isn’t required. The speedo cable is a non issue, as I’m going to convert dash instrumentation to digital. The use of a Corvette driveshaft is intriguing, and I knew the transmission tunnel was going to be re-cut and patched over. I’ve put Dynamat over the entire cockpit except for that area for the new shift tower assembly. I appreciate all the advice.

I will add that I purchased carpeting from Prestige that was made for the relocated shifter position.
One thought on the Trans tunnel; I made cut access hole large enough to be able to remove the top plate of the transmission and then made a removable plate to cover it. seemed to make sense at the time.

Back