1957 T&C Radio wires | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 T&C Radio wires

• Thread starter Thread starter TbirdFan76
  • Start date Start date
TbirdFan76
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Yesterday while driving I noticed the smell of hot electrical wire. Pulled over and a wire appeared to have disconnected or maybe it just fell from somewhere it had been tucked away. The end touched the metal casing of after market temperature gauge and sparked. I pulled it away and smell and sparking stopped. The radio was off when this occurred.

Today I followed the wire to the radio chassis. Looking at the Figure 3 digram attached from the "1957 Ford and Thunderbird Shop Manual" it is the wire on the right side without any text.
  1. Anyone know what its for and where it should connect?
  2. Could it be the Pilot Lead Light in Figure 5?
Thanks .
20241004_145934.jpg

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is to light up the dial when the radio is on and the lights are on. It should hook into a connector for the dash lights.

Plugged wire back into open connector and radio once again functional. It seems this wire isn't just the light because when disconnected there also was no sound from the radio speaker. Sound and light are again working.

With as snug as the connector is I'm surprised it somehow came out.

The power for the radio is through the fused wire. A couple of questions. Did you have this radio recently worked on? Is the fuse in the line good? If so, is this wired to the accessory port of the ignition switch? I think you may have a frayed or misconnected wire inside the radio. The light wire should only have power when the lights are on. If you light works without the light switch being in the park light or headlight configuration, then your wiring is incorrect.

The power for the radio is through the fused wire. A couple of questions. Did you have this radio recently worked on? Is the fuse in the line good? If so, is this wired to the accessory port of the ignition switch? I think you may have a frayed or misconnected wire inside the radio. The light wire should only have power when the lights are on. If you light works without the light switch being in the park light or headlight configuration, then your wiring is incorrect.
1) I didn't have the radio worked on.
2) Yes the light is only on when the light switch is in either parking or headlight positions.

Thank you so much for the feedback. Always good to have extra information to confirm things are working as designed. I will double check it is connected to the fused wire.

Last edited:
Back