1957 T-Bird steering issues

Old57
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just got it on the road again after 44 years in a garage. It has power steering but its "hard". When turned at all the steering wheel stays in same position even hands off. Normal steering force required to put it straight again. It does seem to work but.... Im not sure if the pump is not right or the mechanism is out a bit. Any thoughts? I haven't done anything to the power steering so far. I don't expect it to be as easy as todays cars of course, but it seems too "hard" to steer under normal conditions.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If anything the T-bird power steering is overboosted compared to modern systems. I suspect either the pump isn't sending pressure out or the pistons are gummed up. If it's been sitting for that long both units could probably use an overhaul.

Agree about the "overboost" on our '57 PS. I just feel like I'm "pointing" it down the road. Any way to reduce the PS factor??

The steering is centered by front suspension caster pushing the wheels back straight. If the steering won't center then the caster is way off, i.e. you don't have any, or the power steering cylinder is gummed up. In an extreme case the multitude of joints in the steering linkages could be binding, i.e. worn out, making it difficult to steer and return to center. Try jacking up the front end, wheels off the ground, and see if removing the load makes any difference in steering effort.

Just a thought, no one mentioned steeringbox. An over adjusted steering box will do what you are describing. Possibly in 44 years a dry steering box may rust up.
If all else fails I would separate the steering linkage from the box and see if either is binding.
Just a gut feeling,
Tom

Thanks for all the input guys! Joints all replaced earlier. I have rebuilt the ram cylinder, and am getting the pump and valve rebuilt. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. Ill post when its all figured out.

Back