1957 Swap Stock Taillight Bulbs with LED Questions

TJShea

TJShea

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello. Color me confused..perpetually. I am a novice with mechanical issues, far below that with electrical. I have a 57 with stock electrical. I was looking to increase my rear visibility, especially brake lights (sun is usually pretty bright here in Vegas) and if I get brighter taillights in the bargain that’s a win too. I have gleaned that it is not just a straight swap with replacing a standard 1034 bulb by a LED, because of the turn signals. I was hoping that someone here might have experience or answers relative to the following set-up idea. Bad or good idea? Would this work ok?
I wasn’t looking to replace the front signal too, and then put in a new flasher. I am looking at this option of replacing the incandescent 1034 bulb with a dual function 1157 LED Bulb - Dual Function 27 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb - Red and put one of these LED Light Load Resistor Kit - LED Turn Signal Hyper Flash & Warning Fix - 50W LED Load Resistor kit on the circuit before the light bulb. They are listed as a kit. This is from superbrightleds.com. The total cost would be about $15 per each rear light. I was looking at this as an alternative to the full light replacements the T-Bird part suppliers have for about $180 or so a kit, Bad idea? Thanks in advance.

Hello. Color me confused..perpetually. I am a novice with mechanical issues, far below that with electrical. I have a 57 with stock electrical. I was looking to increase my rear visibility, especially brake lights (sun is usually pretty bright here in Vegas) and if I get brighter taillights in the bargain that’s a win too. I have gleaned that it is not just a straight swap with replacing a standard 1034 bulb by a LED, because of the turn signals. I was hoping that someone here might have experience or answers relative to the following set-up idea. Bad or good idea? Would this work ok?
I wasn’t looking to replace the front signal too, and then put in a new flasher. I am looking at this option of replacing the incandescent 1034 bulb with a dual function 1157 LED Bulb - Dual Function 27 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb - Red and put one of these LED Light Load Resistor Kit - LED Turn Signal Hyper Flash & Warning Fix - 50W LED Load Resistor kit on the circuit before the light bulb. They are listed as a kit. This is from superbrightleds.com. The total cost would be about $15 per each rear light. I was looking at this as an alternative to the full light replacements the T-Bird part suppliers have for about $180 or so a kit, Bad idea? Thanks in advance.
Just sounds like a lot of work. Casco has them for about $170, Plug & play with an electronic flasher and use the original lenses. I kept mine stock but lined the reflectors with aluminum foil. The original reflectors were just cadmium plated and didn't reflect well. Just the foil made them twice as bright. I'd try that first and see what you think and at virtually no cost and easy to do. With the flutes in the lenses you can't see the texture of the foil. Did the front signal reflectors also. Huge difference.

I put LED's in my rear lights and they are way brighter. I did not need a resistor or any other add-on. The bulbs I used had a unique enhancement, they blink 3 times when you hit the brakes and then stay solid. I have noticed people do not follow as close anymore. I also added a led brake strip designed for a motorcycle. Very small height and about 10" long. I mounted it on the center of the rear bumper. It took a little wiring but it is steady red on stop and the end blinks yellow with turn signals.

CtCarGuy-Would you give us the manufacturer's name, LED number and source/s for your rear lights?

The bulbs I used had a unique enhancement, they blink 3 times when you hit the brakes and then stay solid.
Those bulbs are designed for 3rd brake lights in modern cars.

I put LED's in my rear lights and they are way brighter. I did not need a resistor or any other add-on. The bulbs I used had a unique enhancement, they blink 3 times when you hit the brakes and then stay solid. I have noticed people do not follow as close anymore. I also added a led brake strip designed for a motorcycle. Very small height and about 10" long. I mounted it on the center of the rear bumper. It took a little wiring but it is steady red on stop and the end blinks yellow with turn signals.
Thanks for the info. The turn signals still work ok? Did you need to change the flasher?

Just sounds like a lot of work. Casco has them for about $170, Plug & play with an electronic flasher and use the original lenses. I kept mine stock but lined the reflectors with aluminum foil. The original reflectors were just cadmium plated and didn't reflect well. Just the foil made them twice as bright. I'd try that first and see what you think and at virtually no cost and easy to do. With the flutes in the lenses you can't see the texture of the foil. Did the front signal reflectors also. Huge difference.
Thanks for the info. I think I will try the aluminum foil (tin foil for us ancients). I was looking for an alternative to the $170 kits and flasher change, as I thought I would also need to put LEDS in the front turn signals. I thought what I was asking about would be an ok alternative.

Thanks for the info. I think I will try the aluminum foil (tin foil for us ancients). I was looking for an alternative to the $170 kits and flasher change, as I thought I would also need to put LEDS in the front turn signals. I thought what I was asking about would be an ok alternative.
I think you will be amazed at the difference. I was, as bright as any modern lighting and as close as you can get to 'stock' as you can get.

If your car already has a 552 flasher 2-pin, you can change out the bulbs in the rear with WCCC1157R "Plasma" LED bulbs.
I have found that these LEDs are the best match for our Fords, brighter than the superbrightled bulbs but not too bright.
These bulbs draw .3A instead of 2.1A @12V. If you leave the original incandescent bulb in the front, a 552 should still flash.
If your flasher does not flash correctly, no need to add a load resistor kit, use an LED flasher.

Installing LED tail lights in 1957 T-Bird. Are the new bulbs 'plug and play' or will I have to also install a resistor?

As an aside, I read that by lining the cove of the tail light assembly you can get a much brighter reflection.

Thanks in advance for your comments, Larry

If the tail light lenses are old and discolored they won't let as much light thru.
Replacing them may be a good idea.
View attachment 26875
Did that out of necessity as I cracked mine while pushing it into my garage and the bumper of my truck slipped going up the driveway ramp (thank heavens no other damage). As I stated above, lined the reflectors with aluminum foil and they are bright as can be with little fuss or expense.

If you add LED parking lights and replace the flasher with an LED flasher,
You won’t need to add a resistor

Last edited:
Back