1957 Steering Column / Steering Wheel - What is missing

SoloBird

Thunderbird Year
I pickup a 57' Tbird that is going to need a lot of work, and one of the things I want to focus on is the steering.

The car was stripped, sitting in black primer. It runs, drives and stops, but the steering wheel pulls all the way out, saved only by the horn wire stop. I have the adjustment sleeve, upper hub and tube from a pile of parts in the trunk, but I am not sure what further parts I will need. The seller advised me all I would need is the steering shaft bearing, but I think I am going to need a few other things to get it right and safe. I ordered a new 15" "American Retro" steering wheel, but based off the parts I highlighted in the diagram, is there anything I am missing or needing?
The large disadvantage I have is that the car came already dissembled, so I am not sure how things go back together or what is missing still.

This is my second car restoration, so I am very new and limited. I appreciate any insight, advise or help to getting this bird back on the road.
Thanks

20220502_165327.jpg20220502_165336.jpgsteeringColumn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird Year
You're missing everything for the upper steering column. The diagram is pretty much self-explanatory. You should start by going online and browsing Tbird parts catalogs. Doing so will tell you how many of the missing parts are being reproduced. Also, some suppliers should have any used parts that are no longer being reproduced.

The CTCI Thunderbird Restoration Specifications and Details Manual has a section on assembling the steering column, which includes instructions for "pinning" the upper column to prevent separation. The manual is available from Tbird suppliers, but you'll be looking at about $200 for the manual/w all addendums.

Once you've acquired all of the parts (and manual), let us know how it's coming along.

SoloBird

Thunderbird Year
You're missing everything for the upper steering column. The diagram is pretty much self-explanatory. You should start by going online and browsing Tbird parts catalogs. Doing so will tell you how many of the missing parts are being reproduced. Also, some suppliers should have any used parts that are no longer being reproduced.

The CTCI Thunderbird Restoration Specifications and Details Manual has a section on assembling the steering column, which includes instructions for "pinning" the upper column to prevent separation. The manual is available from Tbird suppliers, but you'll be looking at about $200 for the manual/w all addendums.

Once you've acquired all of the parts (and manual), let us know how it's coming along.
Thanks 55blacktie. I have been looking at the parts catalogues like concourse parts, CASCO, and others.
Did the parts I highlighted in the diagram picture I posted cover what I am needing or are there more you noticed I need? which parts are the "upper steering column"? The diagram does not label which section is what. I attached a pic of parts I am thinking I need.

I can not find a link to purchase this "CTCI Thunderbird Restoration Specifications and Details Manual" $200 you say?? Does it come and do the repairs for me while serving mixed drinks? :)

Attachments

• steeringcolumnparts.jpg
    steeringcolumnparts.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 3
Thunderbird Year
concoursparts.com Search "Manuals." Keep scrolling until you find the complete set (about $194). You'll find many other manuals as well, including reproductions of the originals. Concours often has 10%-off sales/w free shipping (within the 48 states) on most parts, excluding large/heavy/bulky items.

When searching online catalogs, the diagrams will have part numbers next to each part. If the part is being reproduced, look for the part number on or near that page.

doug7740

Thunderbird Year

Steering Column - 1.jpg
Steering Column - 2.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

SoloBird

Thunderbird Year
This is SUPER useful and helpful Doug. you ROCK! This gives me a much better picture and idea of what I am needing and what makes up the steering column. You get this from the CTCI Thunderbird Restoration expensive Manual thing? Anyone have a used one they want to let me borrow or sell?
What I have found out of the pile of parts in the trunk of the 57 is, the"adjustment collar", "adjustment sleeve", and "Horseshoe Collar". Guess I will be going to CASCO to order parts unless anyone can recommend better prices from another source. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Steering Column check.jpg
    Steering Column check.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1