1957 starter removal tips

C

cscolastico

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Any tips on how to remove the starter from my 57 Bird? How to access upper bolt?

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Any tips on how to remove the starter from my 57 Bird? How to access upper bolt?

Thanks
You can reach the top bolt with a socket on an extension. It is easier if you remove the two bolts holding the engine stabilizer to the block. The bracket can be rotated out of the way and access for the socket is less restricted.

You can reach the top bolt with a socket on an extension. It is easier if you remove the two bolts holding the engine stabilizer to the block. The bracket can be rotated out of the way and access for the socket is less restricted.
Hijacking the thread, is there anything that should be done to keep things in place when braking loose the stabilizer?

Hijacking the thread, is there anything that should be done to keep things in place when braking loose the stabilizer?
Actually, I was able to remove my starter without touching the stabilizer. With a little twisting and maneuvering around the down tube bracket, it came right out. I removed the rubber splash shield ( 3 bolts) from the fender and the rubber ignition wire grommet and moved the wires out of the way - gave me a much better view of where the upper bolt was. I couldn't see it with the grommet in place.

I don't understand the issues. Simple unbolt & drop. It's got a lip to fit into the bell housing so one hand is all you need. Done it twice and was simple both times.

I don't understand the issues. Simple unbolt & drop. It's got a lip to fit into the bell housing so one hand is all you need. Done it twice and was simple both times.
Good. I have not removed one but thought I read/heard difficulties with the starter drive hanging on the end of the shaft being able to get around the ring gear with the stabilizer close to the starter. Not like a FE with the drive on the outside and short. For me add smaller older guy = not so strong.

be sure to inspect the battery cable from the starter as it runs behind the exhaust manifold and cylinder head,
the insulation may be cracked and separated in that area from the heat.

be sure to inspect the battery cable from the starter as it runs behind the exhaust manifold and cylinder head,
the insulation may be cracked and separated in that area from the heat.
Good point. Since the starter jammed last year, I made freshening-up the engine bay my winter project. So, I replaced most rubber and battery cables since it was easier now. BUT, have not gotten to pulling the starter..........

Back