1957 Speedometer Cable Lubrication

baby bird

baby bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My speedo cable was making the speed needle jump then it stopped. Does the cable need to be lubed and with what and how do I access it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are a couple of causes that the speedometer stops working.
First: Is the cable broken? It attaches to the rear of the speedometer. It has a fitting that screws onto the speedometer head to attache the cable.
Second t
The speedometer head can fail as it is a mechanical device that is now ~65 years old. It can be easily rebuilt by a competent speedometer shop.
Third: You won't like this one and is the least likely, the driving gear in the transmission can wear out. Again 65 years old. if a gear wears out it is more likely, the much easier to replace, driven gear on the end of the speedometer cable that has a screw on fitting to attach it to the transmission
If you do not have a shop manual get one. It will answer many questions for you.
good luck, I hope it is just the cable which is the easiest to replace as well as the most common.

I would just unscrew the cable from the back of the speedometer and pull the cable. If it is still in one piece Then it just may need lube. Mine did the same thing and the bouncing Loosened the needle. I had the speedo rebuilt shortly before and the needle did not fit tight and slipped. I too thought it was the driven gear and replaced it but it looked good once out. It is not a simple job due to no room. 4+ hours and many 'walk away and try again later' moments. That keeper bolt takes a small hand, blind dexterity and patience. Lubed up the cable well when installing and now it works great.

Ill get to the cable soon. Impulling the trans out now. Wish me good luck

Back