1957 Soft Top Spring Arm reinstallation

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
R

richsfords

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
57 soft top, reinstall arm spring. any short cuts that will help. tried to install various ways. just one to do help please.
my bird did not have a soft when it left FORD.
richard

Your subject should be a short summary of your post, not your entire post. "57 soft top, reinstall arm spring. any short cuts that will help. tried to install various ways. just one to do help please." Has been changed to "1957 Soft Top Arm Spring reinstallation"

Do you mean arm spring or spring arm. If you mean spring arm all 55, 56, and 57 Thunderbirds had two mounting studs on each side of the car behind the seat on the floor to mount the spring arm. If you do not have a shop manual and or a trim and sealer manual I suggest you get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a down and dirty puller/clamp to help install the very strong spring on the swing arm. I used a couple of 3 inch bolts, a piece of flat bar stock, and a striker plate for a door. It works by putting the 1/4 in nut on the spring bolt and then slip the bar stock over the nut and the striker plate opening over the frame where the spring bolt will install and then tighten the 3 inch bolts. The opening in the striker plate allows you to install the locking nut for the spring bolt.IMG_0471.JPG

I made a down and dirty puller/clamp to help install the very strong spring on the swing arm. I used a couple of 3 inch bolts, a piece of flat bar stock, and a striker plate for a door. It works by putting the 1/4 in nut on the spring bolt and then slip the bar stock over the nut and the striker plate opening over the frame where the spring bolt will install and then tighten the 3 inch bolts. The opening in the striker plate allows you to install the locking nut for the spring bolt.View attachment 13876
I was looking for a answer like this thank you
also looked on line to put washers or screw drivers in the coils to expand the spring.
will come up with something.
richard

I was looking for a answer like this thank you
also looked on line to put washers or screw drivers in the coils to expand the spring.
will come up with something.
richard
I made a down and dirty puller/clamp to help install the very strong spring on the swing arm. I used a couple of 3 inch bolts, a piece of flat bar stock, and a striker plate for a door. It works by putting the 1/4 in nut on the spring bolt and then slip the bar stock over the nut and the striker plate opening over the frame where the spring bolt will install and then tighten the 3 inch bolts. The opening in the striker plate allows you to install the locking nut for the spring bolt.View attachment 13876
That is a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

I don't have a spring arm. I can surmise if I buy one it will fit in my 57?

Now I know why there are two springs hanging behind the seat from the previous owner.

I don't have a spring arm. I can surmise if I buy one it will fit in my 57?
It should fit. Mine didn't have one when I got it and I bought a used on and it bolted onto the studs that are behind the seat. It has some adjusting screws on it to fine tune the position of the arm when it's up.

Pretty inventive. Glad I never had to deal with that problem. I have heard the trunk lid springs can also be a challenge. Mine was replacing the broken helper spring on my electric window lifter mechanism. Had to make sure if something slipped the spring wouldn't do any personal damage or fly off to wonder where it went.

Back