1957 Soft top and hardtop values

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am purchasing a '57 in California, and the shippers do not want to include the hardtop and soft-top if they are not on the car. The car is pristine and the seller does not want to risk any damage to the car by installing them for shipping. I personally don't care if I have the tops, or not.
What would a fair price be to sell the items in California?

Thanks, Ralph

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am purchasing a '57 in California, and the shippers do not want to include the hardtop and soft-top if they are not on the car. The car is pristine and the seller does not want to risk any damage to the car by installing them for shipping. I personally don't care if I have the tops, or not.
What would a fair price be to sell the items in California?

Thanks, Ralph

I am not sure of condition of W/S on hardtop, and if it would damage paint. Seller states that soft-top is still in box and never installed. Seller does not want to risk damage, and I don't either.
Ralph

Just place some microfiber towels on the deck lid.. you WANT both tops! I just completed a total refurbish on my hardtop, cost me $1800 plus lots of labor. I have both tops too and as mentioned above, the soft top stows behind the seat.

Have the seller ship the soft to separately if he/she does not know how to install the top. With the hard top; have it put on the car. A thin flexible plastic about 1/16" under the top where it sits on the body should protect the body.
If you do not want either top I believe you are making a big mistake. Is the seller discounting anything for keeping the tops? A new soft top is about $5000 if it is from Jewell. A hard top can still cost you a couple of grand. Becasue nothing is forever; when you want to sell the car you will have to provide deep discounts for lack of tops. Without the top or tops makes it a harder sell.

Concours parts sells a deck protector (vinyl) for $21.50 part #A6
Works perfectly!
C324CE2F-558E-4920-B9CD-D92569071D66.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeroroadkill:

Do you have that deck protector yourself? And if so, does it leave any marks/residue on the deck? I ask because when I got my ‘57, it had some sort of plastic/vinyl protector under the hard top that left some gnarly marks/residue that I still have not been able to get off. So, I’d be interested in getting something to use that doesn’t leave such marks.

I have it, thats my picture. Maybe yours had some dirt under it? I just finished the top so no long term results yet. I did have the soft top up last winter and had to have the scratches buffed out

I have it, thats my picture. Maybe yours had some dirt under it? I just finished the top so no long term results yet. I did have the soft top up last winter and had to have the scratches buffed out
That was before trying the vinyl protector.

Cool. It wasn’t residue from dirt on mine: it was definitely impressions or residue from the plastic/vinyl protector itself. I’ve recently managed to get about 90% of the marks off using a cleaning product called Pure from Mitchell & King (they have great products all around, btw), but whatever the residue is, it’s very stubborn. Prior to using Pure, I wasn’t able to get any of it off at all. (The remainder that’s still visible is annoying the heck out of me, though).

The weird thing was/is that the residue isn’t sticky to the touch at all: it’s more like the plastic or vinyl or whatever it was leeched or outgassed some chemical that bonded with the paint. When I put the top back on for the winter this time, I may see if I have enough thin microfiber cloths to cover the relevant area: I don’t want to have to deal with trying to get such residue off again…

Was it under the entire protector or just under the tops weather stripping?
I’ve had the ceramic coating put on the paint so I hope that doesn’t happen to me!
Maybe I’ll open up another post asking about the protector.

Not sure what the fair price is but I am in California and have been looking for a soft top. I'm thinking a couple thousand. Let me know what you decide.

note a replacement soft top will cost~$3500. Hardtop parts only will be ~$1650, then you have to find a hardtop. Good luck with that. I just did a total referb on my original hardtop with me doing most the labor and painting and I’m into it for $1800. So to the person who was buying that ‘57 in California you better take both tops! Just saying!

Before & after. Heck just the headliner and weather stripping & screws was $650! $330 to get the stainless touched up and polished and $300 to get the headliner installed! $500 for paint & accessories AND tons of hard labor.

Attachments

• 580330EC-8B3C-4C58-B3A2-A688420354A0.jpeg
    580330EC-8B3C-4C58-B3A2-A688420354A0.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 4
  • C193C1C2-2D26-4D98-A997-5B01F36F6CC9.jpeg
    C193C1C2-2D26-4D98-A997-5B01F36F6CC9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • F159E9D4-6C3F-48DF-89CB-B79D70CDA784.jpeg
    F159E9D4-6C3F-48DF-89CB-B79D70CDA784.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 73CA95ED-407B-4026-BD28-3B5D1B398D24.jpeg
    73CA95ED-407B-4026-BD28-3B5D1B398D24.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 788D966D-91AD-47CD-A7DC-76EDF4C02496.jpeg
    788D966D-91AD-47CD-A7DC-76EDF4C02496.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 7DD037A5-44F9-498A-98BB-202C9048A870.jpeg
    7DD037A5-44F9-498A-98BB-202C9048A870.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 1E75A23E-6B7F-4EF6-A496-C99CA915AE2B.jpeg
    1E75A23E-6B7F-4EF6-A496-C99CA915AE2B.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 11ED4DDC-281A-45E8-A325-0EDCBAF760FD.jpeg
    11ED4DDC-281A-45E8-A325-0EDCBAF760FD.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
Thanks for the comments. I will be keeping the tops with the car. I had planned to ship the car with Bring a Trailer shipping, as I purchased the car on their site. Unfortunately, they cannot handle any extra parts. Will be going with Montway, as they can handle separate tops, for about the same price. Not sure why my question got sent to Parts of Sale forun, as I was just asking for information, not wanting to sell the parts here. No harm, no foul.
Ralph

Thanks for the comments. I will be keeping the tops with the car. I had planned to ship the car with Bring a Trailer shipping, as I purchased the car on their site. Unfortunately, they cannot handle any extra parts. Will be going with Montway, as they can handle separate tops, for about the same price. Not sure why my question got sent to Parts of Sale forun, as I was just asking for information, not wanting to sell the parts here. No harm, no foul.
Ralph
Enjoy the car. Once you get it shiny and clean, post some pics.

note a replacement soft top will cost~$3500. Hardtop parts only will be ~$1650, then you have to find a hardtop. Good luck with that. I just did a total referb on my original hardtop with me doing most the labor and painting and I’m into it for $1800. So to the person who was buying that ‘57 in California you better take both tops! Just saying!

Before & after. Heck just the headliner and weather stripping & screws was $650! $330 to get the stainless touched up and polished and $300 to get the headliner installed! $500 for paint & accessories AND tons of hard labor.
Can you not deny it was worth it?

Cool. It wasn’t residue from dirt on mine: it was definitely impressions or residue from the plastic/vinyl protector itself. I’ve recently managed to get about 90% of the marks off using a cleaning product called Pure from Mitchell & King (they have great products all around, btw), but whatever the residue is, it’s very stubborn. Prior to using Pure, I wasn’t able to get any of it off at all. (The remainder that’s still visible is annoying the heck out of me, though).

The weird thing was/is that the residue isn’t sticky to the touch at all: it’s more like the plastic or vinyl or whatever it was leeched or outgassed some chemical that bonded with the paint. When I put the top back on for the winter this time, I may see if I have enough thin microfiber cloths to cover the relevant area: I don’t want to have to deal with trying to get such residue off again…
I'll bet it was residue from the original gaskets. I took alcohol and lots of elbow grease to remove the residue from my rear panel after having new seals installed. the vinyl protector would leave no residue.

Back