1957 Smaller steering wheel

Anyone know where to get the smaller steering wheel for 57 TBird?
Amos Minter in Dallas. Amosminter.com 972-931-3357. It is different not only in size but it is not flat. it is concaved. It does not have a key corresponding to the steering shaft spline so be careful how you mark and remove your original. It is much easier to get in and out though.

I got mine from CASCO. And I love it…. It was a real pain in the butt removing the horn ring on the new wheel…. I finally used two paint stirrers as levers to aide my twisting action and not ding the metal or plastic wheel… that worked well. Also note: the emblem in the center can be changed at the same time and the horn ring does not Have the “ power steering “ thing on it…fyi

Anyone know where to get the smaller steering wheel for 57 TBird?
Please use the 4 digit model year in your subject on future posts as prompted. Also. This is an all Thunderbird site so you can omit the model of your car to shorten the title. Updated model-year-TBF.jpg

Actually I got my American Retro 15" steering wheel ordered from Walmart if you can believe that. Why would you have problems with the splines and horn ring, when it states this wheel is a direct replacement for the 56-57 Tbird? I have not tried installing mine yet, but I am concerned now if this wheel doesn't fit right.

I got mine through Summit racing I purchased a grant steering wheel and the adapter kit
Can you share a pic of it? I like the Grant products, as I used one on a 74' super beetle I have been restoring and it looked great, but wonder what their product looks like in a Tbird. I wanted mine to look like the original, just not the bus size 18" stock wheel.

Can you share a pic of it? I like the Grant products, as I used one on a 74' super beetle I have been restoring and it looked great, but wonder what their product looks like in a Tbird. I wanted mine to look like the original, just not the bus size 18" stock wheel.
If you want it to look like the original the 15" repo's do. I've seen pictures of Grant wheels but to me that look out of place unless it's in a resto-mod. Here's picture of my old and new repo wheel.
old wheel vs new wheel steering tbird 1957 IMG_8051.JPG

If you want it to look like the original the 15" repo's do. I've seen pictures of Grant wheels but to me that look out of place unless it's in a resto-mod. Here's picture of my old and new repo wheel.
View attachment 22202
That looks great. Did you have issues or problems with the retro 15" wheel as some others have reported?

That looks great. Did you have issues or problems with the retro 15" wheel as some others have reported?

Yes, had problems with the spines being too tight and the horn ring not having enough clearance to go on and off and the threads that would be used in the future for a steering wheel puller being poorly machined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back