1957 Seat measurements

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had the seat upholstered and now I can barely fit in the car. ( No I have not gained weight LOL)

I believe the guy that did the work used much thicker foam then what it should have been. Can anyone give me some
measurements on the foam as well as from the floor to the seat top?.

I know I could move the seat back an inch or 2 but that does not help my head sticking way above the windshield.

Any thoughts or help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Frank

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

As you probably know, the seat foam disintegrates with age. When I removed the seat from my 55, it left what looked like termite debris in the floor. New foam, no doubt, should be thicker than what you removed. However, I have read that the new foam does have to be trimmed before the upholstery is installed. I will soon have mine reupholstered by someone who has done T-bird seats. Even if the work was done correctly, you should sit a bit higher than before. Unfortunately for some, the 55-57 T-birds weren't designed for large/tall people. A smaller-diameter 56-57 steering wheel is available that will give you more thigh room, but I wouldn't use it if you have manual steering.

As far as cost/quality of foam is concerned, I would guess that most/all of the T-bird parts vendors are getting their foam from the same source. Someone who does T-bird upholstery might tell you otherwise.

The thing to do is to spend more time sitting in there. Over time the foam and material will soften up and conform. Yes these cars were not built for the average size of people now 60 years after they were designed. I'm only 5'6" and I fit well with the seat all the way back and wheel all the way forward and I had new foam and covers installed 30+ years ago..

Traneman, if your head is way above the windshield, I don't think breaking in the seat is going to provide the headroom you need. If you have a soft top, it will limit how far back you can relocate the seat.

Same situation with my 57 Bird. Beautiful black with red interior. I think the seats were worn, red had faded to pink. Bought new covers from Casao, Interior man said we should also replace for pads while doing job, OK.New foam seats from Casco.
Got into car and some one had inflated the seats 2-3 inches. Simple solution..change 18" wheel to 15" wheel, and the costs keep growing on. But it is a beautiful car and worth every cent spentIMG_0361.jpg

Simple solution, change 18" wheel to 15" wheel, and the costs keep growing on.
As a friend of mine keeps telling me; "That's the fun of the hobby". If you look at money I have spent on this hobby over the years, it doesn't make sense. But if you look at the fun I'm having, the great people I meet and the memories I've made, it is well worth it. I would rather have less money in the bank and more memories in the memory bank. You can't take it with you.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

As a friend of mine keeps telling me; "That's the fun of the hobby". If you look at money I have spent on this hobby over the years, it doesn't make sense. But if you look at the fun I'm having, the great people I meet and the memories I've made, it is well worth it. I would rather have less money in the bank and more memories in the memory bank. You can't take it with you.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
So very true !!

Traneman, if your head is way above the windshield, I don't think breaking in the seat is going to provide the headroom you need. If you have a soft top, it will limit how far back you can relocate the seat.
Removing the soft top allowed me much more rear seat travel. Previous owners had moved the seat mounting holes rearward, but with the top stored back their is limited usage. So, softop stored in garage, much more foot space, and only drive in good weather. Just my 2 cents.

Back