1957 Removing gauge cluster

Gearjammer

Gearjammer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My mechanic and I have encountered a problem in attempting to remove the gauge cluster. Is it necessary to remove the entire dashboard, or can it be removed after just removing the steering column? After removing what appears to be the most obvious connections, it remains immovable. Are we missing something?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My mechanic and I have encountered a problem in attempting to remove the gauge cluster. Is it necessary to remove the entire dashboard, or can it be removed after just removing the steering column? After removing what appears to be the most obvious connections, it remains immovable. Are we missing something?
@Gearjammer Please put the model year in your subject on future posts as prompted. I've added it for you.

model-year.jpg

You do not need to remove the dashboard nor the steering column, although it will allow for much easier access to the gauges. I removed all my gauges, laying on my back, legs on the seats, etc. It can be done but not an easy task. At the same time you can remove the gauge bezels and glass covers for cleaning and polishing. Change the Jewel kit for oil, generator and turn signals.

As the entire wiring system is being replaced, as well as the windshield gasket, we’ve decided to remove the dashboard to facilitate the rewire and to replace the instrument cluster with a digital setup.

Unless you are a small contortionist pulling the dash will make the job much easier. Then you can get to the fasteners, jewels for the indicators etc. Also buy a pack of wire labels available in the electrical section of almost any hardware store to label the wires and where they came from.

Back