1957 reducing dash glare

TBBLUE02

TBBLUE02

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is there a way to lower glare on dashboard? I'm using a flat piece of rubber padding but it looks BAD. It only has to cover in front of the driver up to the speaker outlet. My dashboard is like new so I don't want to destroy it. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your title "1957 dash" is vague. Summarize what your post is about and you will get more replies. I will edited to reflect what your post is about.
model-year.jpg

Why would your dash have a glare? Did you have it painted? Original is a material cover so there is no glare.

Why would your dash have a glare? Did you have it painted? Original is a material cover so there is no glare.
The dash pad was replaced (California sun weathered I guess) before I purchased the car. I think the prior owner might have put some type of vinyl wax on it. Because it is a new pad I'm a little hesitant using a cleaner. And yes, I wear sunglasses when driving.

The dash pad was replaced (California sun weathered I guess) before I purchased the car. I think the prior owner might have put some type of vinyl wax on it. Because it is a new pad I'm a little hesitant using a cleaner. And yes, I wear sunglasses when driving.
It's probably armorall. Some people like it but does leave a shine which is not great for the dash. It can be cleaned with a bit of elbow grease and an all purpose cleaner. I just did a search and there are several solutions which won't harm your dash.

It's probably armorall. Some people like it but does leave a shine which is not great for the dash. It can be cleaned with a bit of elbow grease and an all purpose cleaner. I just did a search and there are several solutions which won't harm your dash.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll use Dawn liquid, if it's good enought for removing crude oil from birds it should work on my 'Bird' too.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll use Dawn liquid, if it's good enought for removing crude oil from birds it should work on my 'Bird' too.

Step 1​

You can either use a good all-purpose-cleaner or you can make your own. If you want to make your own you can make a mixture of about two quarts of warm water, one and a half cups of white vinegar, and one teaspoon of dish soap. This or an all-purpose-cleaner is great for removing Armor All. They both have the power to cut through the chemical protectants in Armor All and allow them to release their bond with the surface they’ve been applied onto.

Step 2​

It’s important to try and keep your microfiber rag damp as this will help make sure you are always attacking that Armor All instead of absorbing the Armor All Protectant into the nap of the microfiber.

Is there a way to lower glare on dashboard? I'm using a flat piece of rubber padding but it looks BAD. It only has to cover in front of the driver up to the speaker outlet. My dashboard is like new so I don't want to destroy it. Thanks.
There are a variety of dash covers made of various materials, including a velour. Do a search of "1957 Thunderbird dash cover" & a bunch will pop up. I have one for a different car that I use, & it works great.

Back