1957 Radio repair vs Conversion

Pink T-Bird

Pink T-Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I can't find anything relevant by searching the archive...

My Town and Country radio died the second I connected the reproduction volumatic connector. So now I know why those are always missing from the other birds I see at car shows...
I'm left considering my options for repair as is (AM only) convert to AM/FM/Bluetooth, or buy one of the aftermarket alternatives out there. Of course with the aftermarket or the conversion the option exists to add speaker(s), but where and how to mount those to make it look like it belongs?

Just curious if others who have been down this road can relate their experience and their level of satisfaction with the different options?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I love music. Loud. Sirius. iPhone downloads.

In spring I'm having installed a high end radio and will put the original radio on a shelf for when, of if, I sell the car.

Its all about me!

I love music. Loud. Sirius. iPhone downloads.

In spring I'm having installed a high end radio and will put the original radio on a shelf for when, of if, I sell the car.

Its all about me!
Are you installing a conversion so it still looks original? On one of the custom rebuild auto shows I watch,( May have been Fantom works ) they installed a radio that looked like the original AM display but you could flip the display and have a high end digital display for all your electronic goodies.

I can't find anything relevant by searching the archive...

My Town and Country radio died the second I connected the reproduction volumatic connector. So now I know why those are always missing from the other birds I see at car shows...
I'm left considering my options for repair as is (AM only) convert to AM/FM/Bluetooth, or buy one of the aftermarket alternatives out there. Of course with the aftermarket or the conversion the option exists to add speaker(s), but where and how to mount those to make it look like it belongs?

Just curious if others who have been down this road can relate their experience and their level of satisfaction with the different options?
Thanks
For what it's worth I stopped offering repairs when we introduced the Aurora FMR Stereos. Demand for these conversions was so high that I had to stop. I also had a tsunami of older conversions come back, asking to upgrade. Over 8 years later I'm STILL getting them! Those older conversions use the same hardware that's used in those "repro" sets.

Unless you're working for points with judging, I would not recommend original service anymore. Not only are components getting tougher to find, but AM radio is officially migrating to digital, which means in time those AM radios will become obsolete. Digital AM sounds as good or better than conventional FM, and if you add the HF Radio option to the conversion you can get the new Digital AM as well as additional FM digital stations. Nobody else offers HD Radio for a collector car.

Are you installing a conversion so it still looks original? On one of the custom rebuild auto shows I watch,( May have been Fantom works ) they installed a radio that looked like the original AM display but you could flip the display and have a high end digital display for all your electronic goodies.
Haven't decided yet. It will come down to sound quality.

I was at Road America a couple weeks ago and walked thru a corral of 356's. All six figure cars. A few had fabulous new radios.

When i asked the owner about it he said ... the car is for me, not for some judge. I'll do what I want.

While not going overboard, I agree with that. I want quality music for me. I'll give the next owner the old radio to do as they please.

Back