1957 Radiator persistent leaks

J

Jay Fitzpatrick

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a small persistent leak in my new radiator. Seems to be coming from the top seam but only after I turn the car off, not while it's running? I put several layers of JB Weld but it seems to find a weak spot and breaks thru. Next step is to sand, clean, and sweat solder. I need to check my overflow line to see if it's clogged but it's a new radiator and don't want to replace it as it was a pain. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jay

IMG_5281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your subject "57 Radiator" is vague. It has been updated to 1957 Radiator persistent leaks.

Use the four-digit model year when posting, it helps with site searches and related posts. Your car is a 1957.

I inserted your photo into your post using this method-

model-year-TBF.jpg

Last edited:
Remove the JB weld as it is not intended to do that repair. After removing the JB Weld , take a small carbide rotary file and clean out th area that is leaking and then resolver that spot. very easy to do and will fix your problem. I have removed and reinstalled the whole top tank and reinstalled them in the past and I do not work on radiators. They use plastic tanks not to try to keep people from doing their own work. That is a very easy repair.

Back