1957 pinion seal leaking | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 pinion seal leaking

• Thread starter Thread starter TAL
  • Start date Start date
T
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
My 1957 T-bird is leaking oil from thr pinion seal. Is this something I can do. Manuals start a special bushing needs to be installed.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 1957 T-bird is leaking oil from thr pinion seal. Is this something I can do. Manuals start a special bushing needs to be installed.

It uses a crush collar and in theory anytime you remove the pinon nut you unload the bearing and need to use a new crush collar and go thru the whole pinon preload setting process. In practice, many people very carefully mark the pinon nut to pinion shaft point, carefully count the number of turns it takes to remove the pinon nut, and then put the nut back on and tighten it to that exact same point. I have not done it so am making no recommendation. But the "in practice" method seems reasonable to me and from what I have read for years it's a practice that has been done successfully for years.

In the many times I have installed a pinion seal, I remove the yoke with an impact wrench and install new seal. Tighten it to the given torque spec and make sure it turns smoothly. Never had one leak. Your milage may vary...

The service manual gives a step by step how to do it, it’s a simple job but if you do your own work you should invest in the factory service manual it’s your best friend and source of correct information they aren’t that expensive

Back