1957 over charging?

1957Bird

1957Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Have recently replaced the voltage regulator on my 312 with generator. After polarizing the regulator and start up to test at approximately 1500 RPM voltage at the battery is showing 16.5 to 16.8 volts. Way too high??
Contacted vender that regulator was purchased from and they replaced the regulator at no charge, thank you very much ?
Installed replacement regulator, same exact results??
When I reinstalled original regulator I get approximately 14.5 volts at the same RPM.
seems strange, could I hav 2 bad regulators??
Thanks
Roger

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It's possible, but why did you replace the regulator in the first place?

Have recently replaced the voltage regulator on my 312 with generator. After polarizing the regulator and start up to test at approximately 1500 RPM voltage at the battery is showing 16.5 to 16.8 volts. Way too high??
Contacted vender that regulator was purchased from and they replaced the regulator at no charge, thank you very much ?
When I reinstalled original regulator I get approximately 14.5 volts at the same RPM.
Thanks
Roger
Check voltage with lights on, radio on, A/C on, brakes pressed. If around 12.6, you are Ok...
Voltage goes 12-16 originally.

The charging system consists of the battery and cables, the alternator or generator, and an external voltage regulator. The function of the battery is to spin the starter motor to start the engine. Once that’s done, the alternator takes over, satisfying the car’s electrical demands and keeping the battery charged. The battery then acts primarily as a filter, keeping voltage spikes from damaging the car’s electronics. The voltage regulator rapidly switches the alternator in and out of the charging circuit to provide the car with the correct voltage.

In 1955, the electrical system of the Thunderbird was 6 volt positive ground. In 1956, the Thunderbird electrical system was changed to 12 volt negative ground. On the 12 volt system there are two important numbers to remember, they are 12.6 volts and 13.5 volts.

12.6 Volts: If you think your car has a 12 volt battery, it doesn’t. The 12 volt battery actually has six individual 2.1 volt cells (one under each fill cap). Thus, when fully charged, the battery should have a resting voltage of 12.6 volts. If with the engine off, the resting voltage is less than 12.6 volts, the battery is low and needs to be recharged. Of course, it begs the question of why the battery is low. It could be that the alternator isn’t working, or that the battery has reached the end of its useful life.

13.5 Volts: With the engine running, the alternator should output a charging voltage that’s about a volt higher than the resting voltage, or about 13.5 volts. The exact charging voltage may be as low as 13.2 volts or as high as 14.2 volts.

If your Thunderbird is a 1955, with a 6 volt, positive ground system, the resting voltage is 6.3 volts and the charging voltage should be about 7.1 volts. The exact charging voltage may be as low as 6.6 volts or as high as 7.1 volts.

Take a multi-meter and set it to measure DC voltage, then measure the voltage across the positive and negative battery terminals with the engine off. On a 12 volt system, a fully charged battery should read a resting voltage of 12.6 volts. After you start the car you should see a charging voltage of about a volt higher than resting voltage. If the reading doesn’t increase by about a volt or if it stays at the resting voltage, it means that the alternator isn’t recharging the battery. This could be because the alternator is defective, the regulator is defective, or the wiring between them has failed. In any case, if you drive the car, the battery will run down. If the battery runs down enough that the ignition stops firing, the engine will stall. It’s really important that you don’t simply jump-start a car with a dead battery without checking to see if the alternator is charging.

A basic charging system health test: Use a multi-meter to measure the resting and charging voltages as described above. Then, with the engine running, gradually increase the electrical load by turning on the headlights and the blower fan. Then increase the engine RPM to about 3500 as you watch the reading on the multi-meter. If the voltage stays about a volt higher than resting voltage, then the car’s charging system is functioning. But if the voltage drops or increases dramatically at any point, there’s a problem with the alternator or the voltage regulator.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I believe you can adjust the regulator. The field voltage from the alternator or generator to the regulator is controlled by the gap in the regulator solenoid. One solenoid is for battery voltage to the alternator, which will always be engaged when the key is on.
The other controls the duty cycle or charging duty cycle to the battery. The gap between the solenoid contact and the moving armature is where you would adjust for the proper voltage to the battery. Basically connect a DC voltmeter to the battery run the car up to about 2500 RPMs measure the voltage at the battery. If the voltage is not, in your case 13.2 or 14.2 V at the battery, adjust the gap until you achieve that voltage. Do not bend the spring piece of metal. You adjust the heavier metal tang. I’m not sure on the Thunderbird if there are adjusting screws. In any event, there are several YouTube videos that show the process. Good luck. ?

Thanks
Roger
here is the ford manual info, my Motors manual gives the same info, you should have a 30 amp gen, hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG-0558 (002).jpg
    IMG-0558 (002).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG-0559 (002).jpg
    IMG-0559 (002).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG-0560 (002).jpg
    IMG-0560 (002).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Also, check the ground connection between generator regulator and battery. A poor connection can cause a high resistance in the circuit and regulator sees this as a low voltage

Back