1957 lower door hinges assembly

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
A couple of years ago paint shop returned the car. Just now reassembling, It appears I'm missing the two bolts that hold the hinge to the pillar. The holes in the hinge don't line up with the nutplate in the pillar.See photo. Same on both doors. Paint shop no longer in business. No manual I have shows this assembly so I'm flying blind. I understand the missing bolts are the same as the bolts holding the hinge to the door. But I cannot figure out how to get the holes to line up. I can't see how to get at the nut plate to see if something is wrong at that end. Any suggestions?
20070101_01_15.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It looks like there is some adjustment in the hinge. Try rotating the hinge clockwise.

Is the nut plate loose? Can you get a phillips head screwdriver in the plate and move the nutplate around until things line up?

Is the nut plate loose? Can you get a phillips head screwdriver in the plate and move the nutplate around until things line up?
It looks like it's painted in place. A little extra force may be needed and chipped paint is inevitable. There must be a thread on here someplace on how it lines up. I know you have to be extra careful on the early door jam plates as they can drop into the void.

Last edited:
Insert something into one of the holes to keep it from dropping, while you attempt to align the holes.

How do the doors line up now? Moving the hinges more than likely will alter the door fit

How do the doors line up now? Moving the hinges more than likely will alter the door fit
I can't add much but another contributor and myself both have the lower rear end of the door poke out a bit. These cars are notorious for the door not fitting perfectly. If you can get the hinge set, don't let perfect get in the way of practical and slightly off.

Back