1957 leg room manual seat relocation

Tom 57-40

Tom 57-40

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have any experience with relocating the seat of a 57 Bird further back to increase leg room? If so, how is it best accomplished new holes, custom brackets, etc. and how much backward movement can be gained before there is interference with the down position of the convertible top? I understand that this is something that Amos Minter has done for some of his costumers.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is it a power seat?

I have a NON power seat 57 that I relocated 2” aft by drilling new holes in the floor and still have ample room for the soft to store behind the seat when in the furthest back position.

Thank you for your input, my seat is non power also. I am going to do the same thing, because somehow these birds seem to have shrunk between the one I had as a teenager and the one I have now.

I had the seat rails moved back. I still have room for the convertible top plus the Tonneau cover. What I also did is replaced the screws on the back of the seat and installed the snap males. To switch to the cover all you do is unsnap from the seat and re snap on the area with the males to cover the cockpit of the car
Tannou Cover B.jpgTannou Cover Back on front seat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you install the Tannou cover snaps or lugs on the dash? I’d like to do a split tannou cover with a zipper to cover the drivers side as well.

I had the seat rails moved back. I still have room for the convertible top plus the Tonneau cover. What I also did is replaced the screws on the back of the seat and installed the snap males. To switch to the cover all you do is unsnap from the seat and re snap on the area with the males to cover the cockpit of the car
Interesting. I've always just folded in 1/2 and tucked it down.

The male snaps were already installed only on the windshield bottom. I had the original dealers install for the rest of the measurements to drill on the stainless trim... On my invoice the car was ordered with a Tonneau cover.
Tannou Cover Instructions to install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is interesting. My '57 came with a tonneau from the factory. Y20210611_133627.jpges the snaps around the windshield two on the door and one behind the door. The tail is fastened under the rear trim.

View attachment 27811View attachment 27812
View attachment 27811View attachment 27812
How much did you shift your seat back? Just wondering if anyone knows what the maximum amount a non-power seat can be sifted back before it interferes with the top or the deck behind the seat?

2 inches it does make a big difference.

Attachments

• 1956 sage interior.jpg
    1956 sage interior.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
That is interesting. My '57 came with a tonneau from the factory. YView attachment 27814es the snaps around the windshield two on the door and one behind the door. The tail is fastened under the rear trim.
The optional tonneau cover replaced the drop curtain on original factory orders as in Ward‘s photos. No snaps along the rear deck stainless. An aftermarket tonneau dealership installation was done with the snaps along the rear deck resulting in both a drop curtain and a tonneau cover.

Back