1957 LED headlamps for visibility

knuckle47

knuckle47

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone experimented with using modern head light technology in your 55-57T-Bird? I am looking for a recommendation. . As a motorcycle rider I have seen a lot and one key for survival is VISIBILITY.

My vehicle is not a show car but a nice previous restoration. I can change some parts and still keep most of it original. I have seen them from $140 to $375. Any one try this yet?

MODERATOR NOTE:
According to a post a few years ago, someone added aftermarket LED to their Thunderbird which was later involved in an accident. They sued them claiming the LED lights were not DOT approved and contributed to the crash, the court agreed. This is also illegal in many jurisdictions.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone experimented with using modern head light technology in your 55-57T-Bird? I am looking for a recommendation. . As a motorcycle rider I have seen a lot and one key for survival is VISIBILITY.

My vehicle is not a show car but a nice previous restoration. I can change some parts and still keep most of it original. I have seen them from $140 to $375. Any one try this yet?
I have seen halogen replacements that look like original. As far as the rear and front parking lamps aluminum self stick duct tape or just aluminum foil will vastly enhance the brightness.

I put these on mine. Pic shows old on one side and new LED on the other. They don't look quite like the old sealed beam but they're look has grown on me. The are obviously brighter just looking at them in my garage but I have not driven at night with them.

I was very pleased with the quality for the price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JKIUF4/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

MODERATOR UPDATE: Here is the DOT approved one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZYAP0M/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Attachments

• IMG_6687.JPEG
    IMG_6687.JPEG
    819.3 KB · Views: 7
  • headlight led closeup with flash 1957 tbird mine.jpg
    headlight led closeup with flash 1957 tbird mine.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
@jimntempe thats a much better price and availability than what I read on line and is exactly what I’m looking for. Other than the halo ones with the ring style directional on the perimeter.

Do they just plug in or did you need to change any of the connectors?

As the moderator on here has noted, just changing the bulbs alone to LEDs may well be illegal.
I have changed the entire headlight sealed beam with integrated LED internals on my 63 Corvette as they were
designed as a complete unit and meet the European standards and Canadian standards which are better
than US standards, but. they are NOT DOT approved. These headlight assemblies do not blind oncoming drivers ans
have proper dispersion patterns but are sold as "Off Road Use Only" so proceed accordingly. You would have to
call to see if your year/model car is supported: BTW - the assemblies cited in the Amazon ad above do not state
if they meet ANY standards, US or otherwise. Here are the ones I bought; the have 7" offerings as wel.

A strong halogen lamp may be the better alternative.

According to a post a few years ago, someone added aftermarket LED to their Thunderbird which was later involved in an accident. They sued them claiming the LED lights were not DOT approved and contributed to the crash, the court agreed.

It's all fun and games until you get sued and lose. I've worked too hard for what I have to lose it over LED lights.

Great topic, I've been researching and contemplating making the change. I have found DOT and FMVSS No. 108 compliant / approved LED's:
I'm still on the fence.............

Even though I don't plan on changing mine, I just assumed all those LEDs were DOT compliant, but I assume that if labeled not compliant they are fine for custom & show cars.

Multiple DOT complaint LED's:
Anzo USA 881035 Chrome 7"
Holley Retro Bright 7"
Grote® - 7" Round Chrome
They are expensive. But fit is another issue, some are deeper and would require bucket modification.

I'm building a removable harness which will allow my headlights to be on anytime the ignition is on.
A drl of sorts.

Bright parking lamps are the easy solution. Use them as running lamps.
If I could have red and blue flashing lights on any of the cars I drive, I’d do it. For 38 years I commute 136 miles 4 days a week round trip and with the stupid stuff I see on 3 major roadways and any red traffic … I’m convinced

I've covered the dash sensor on all of my vehicles which have automatic headlights.
The vehicle thinks it's always dark, so the headlights are always on.

@jimntempe thats a much better price and availability than what I read on line and is exactly what I’m looking for. Other than the halo ones with the ring style directional on the perimeter.

Do they just plug in or did you need to change any of the connectors?
They come with a pigtail harness which plugs into the original connector. There is plenty of room in the bucket for it. They state they are DOT compliant.

If I could have red and blue flashing lights on any of the cars I drive, I’d do it. For 38 years I commute 136 miles 4 days a week round trip and with the stupid stuff I see on 3 major roadways and any red traffic … I’m convinced
Talk about windshield time. When traveling the country roads between Spokane & northern Montana I hit the fog light switch on my 2015 truck and it then turns on every exterior light to be seen.

I put these on mine. Pic shows old on one side and new LED on the other. They don't look quite like the old sealed beam but they're look has grown on me. The are obviously brighter just looking at them in my garage but I have not driven at night with them.

I was very pleased with the quality for the price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JKIUF4/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

MODERATOR UPDATE: Here is the DOT approved one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZYAP0M/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20
The ones I used and posted show DOT SAE and E stamped into the lens. Both the $100 ones and your $330 ones are made in China and can claim anything they wish. From what can be seen in the ad photos the $300 ones don't even have DOT SAE E stamped on the lens which would make them non-compliant to that requirement. Their ad doesn't claim dot approval, only compliance. Neither actual states DOT approval and I doubt either are because neither provide the approval number. They might have been tested in-house to see if they meet the spec and then said to be compliant in that sense.
dot sae logo on bulb.jpg

Lots of bling but do you really drive that much at night to justify the cost. Oh I forget cost is no issue to make our toys the way we want. There is an ad in the recent Earlybird selling a complete running '56 chassis with engine to drop the body onto a custom frame. Only wanted the body.

I had my garage open and turned on the original headlights and couldn't even tell they were on looking at the wall 7 feet in front of the car. I thought maybe I had a bad headlight switch. Walked around front to check and they were on in all their old-fashioned yellow goldenness. I don't plan to drive much if any at night but it might happen and I want decent headlights if it comes up. If Iwait till when I need them I won't have them when I need them.

So as promised here is a photo of the front parking lamps… the drivers side is the original 1157. The passenger side is the LED 1157 equivalent

The tail lamps have been changed as well using the same 1157 equivalents but show a less dramatic improvement although still an improvement. It’s possible the auto exposure of the camera lens is controlling the brightness on the tail light photo
789820F8-DF1C-44E5-824F-74146D88C5C8.jpeg19956_a81608f63307ed73e7aede942716b15e.jpeg

Back