1957 Larry's power brake conversion vacuum lines

TBBLUE02

TBBLUE02

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently purchased a Power Brake conversion from Larry’s T-Bird. Nice compact unit. BUT, the vacuum line routing runs from the back of the intake manifold (along with the fuel pump’s vacuum line) using a new brass adaptor. This connection deletes the ventilation hose that used to go from under the push rod chamber shielding plate. This omission eliminates excess gas and oil vapors from going back through the intake manifold and reentering the combustion chamber. 1957 models were not equipped with a PCV system. What are most people doing with the end of the line that used to come from under the push rod chamber shielding plate?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have you tried contacting Larry's?

I recently purchased a Power Brake conversion from Larry’s T-Bird. Nice compact unit. BUT, the vacuum line routing runs from the back of the intake manifold (along with the fuel pump’s vacuum line) using a new brass adaptor. This connection deletes the ventilation hose that used to go from under the push rod chamber shielding plate. This omission eliminates excess gas and oil vapors from going back through the intake manifold and reentering the combustion chamber. 1957 models were not equipped with a PCV system. What are most people doing with the end of the line that used to come from under the push rod chamber shielding plate?
I still use the road draft tube. I look at it as undercarriage rust prevention. by the way the cover is called a valley cover.

I'm still trying to comprehend what he's describing. I think you tagged it on the draft tube. I' think he's talking about the valley plate under the intake manifold. The whole idea of a PC valve was to direct those gasses back into the intake system to burn them off.
I think the poster doesn't have a firm grasp on the vacuum port on the back of the manifold and how the engine was designed to breath. Yah I like your analogy of the draft tube as an underbody rust prevention system.
People have to understand these cars were designed to last only 5yrs and that's why major changes were made every 3yrs to sell the new models. Longevity was not on the radar like now.

The term I used for the plate (Push rod chamber cover) came from the 1957 Ford Car and Thunderbird Shop Manual - Section1 Page 61. But I like your name better (valley plate). I do understand how the engine ventilation system works and all its ramifications good and bad. Because I do not live in a state where emission standards are so stringent (e.g., California) I will use the draft tube method. Apologies for using the rather cumbersome shop manual description.

Back