1957 Instrument cluster facia removal

TBBLUE02

TBBLUE02

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I want to clean both sides of all IP gauges. How do I remove just the facia cover of the IP to access all lenses. I do not want to remove the gauges.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If I remember correctly, the speedo, tach, Fuel and temp lenses are friction fit with spring clips and can be removed by slipping a non scratching tool under the edge of the bezel. The clock has to be removed and the mechanism removed from the case. The red warning lights are not removable. Be careful when cleaning those as the letters are painted on and can be rubbed off.
I did this a while back and used nail polish on the tips of the needles to brighten them up and cleaned the lenses.

Ward 57, I found another article on this topic. It agrees with you 100%. I'm new to the early bird world and sincerely appreciate all the information I can get. I lucked out and found a California rust free example and snatched it up. All it needs is some elbow grease and detailing. Thank you for your input. I will do this detailing exercise once the weather warms up a little (I live in Michigan).

Ward57, thanks for the tip on removing gauge bezels. I took an old school pocket screwdriver, sharpened the blade and bent the shaft at right angle about an inch back from tip. This enabled the tip to be slid under the bezel edge and hence pry it out. Worked great.
Thanks again.
It’s a winter project I’ve wanted to get done for a while.

I guess since you guys figured this I'm now wondering if the conversation of exactly what color the tips should be will start. I went with a good dark red my wife had, looks good but I have heard they should be a little orange. I like the Red kind alike something you would like to kiss. stands out too. My wife does call my car my 'Mistress'.

Back