1957- How much steering wheel shimmy is normal?

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I know older vehicles are not as tight as new vehicles. How much steering shimmy is normal on a '57?
It's not a lot but there is some.

Thanks.

My opinion in none. When you say shimmy, do you mean that the steering wheel shakes back and forth? Or are you talking about steering play? If all of your steering and suspension components are not excessively worn there should not be any shaking.. that indicates something worn out or bent.
Good luck
Ed

I added your model year to your post. Please include it in the subject on your future posts.
model-year-TBF.jpg

My opinion in none. When you say shimmy, do you mean that the steering wheel shakes back and forth? Or are you talking about steering play? If all of your steering and suspension components are not excessively worn there should not be any shaking.. that indicates something worn out or bent.
Good luck
Ed
Yes. I mean play. There is no shake in the linkage.

Play in the steering can be caused by any number of things. Start by inspecting the tie rod ends and all the linkage joints in the steering system. Grab them and try to move them back and forth. If there is any movement in anyone of these components replace them. The steering gear box itself can have some play in it from wear and some of that can be adjusted out. Maybe someone will chime in with a 57 that has done that procedure and can instruct you on how that works. Worn out suspension parts like ball joints can also contribute to this too..
Take care
Ed

The play in the steering can be greatly reduced or eliminated by adjustments on the steering box but the proceedure to do that is not as simple as just adjusting the screw at the top of the box. There is a detailed description on how to do it in the Ford shop manual.

After I inspected all of the steering and suspension components on my car, I used the attached procedure to adjust the steering box.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Steering Box Adjustment.pdf
    379.8 KB · Views: 4
Back