1957 Hood release handle came off

Most local hardware stores carry plastic coated cable. I actually used the cable from a bicycle cable lock that I found in my garage.

Have a look at all the previous posts...if you decide to have a second/backup cable use a strong but very flexible one..so you will not 'short out' anything...a second cable works like a charm...and can be done without having to get under the car...I had one in my '55 and now one in my '57...works great and costs nothing!
Could you post a picture of how you have the second cable attached on the engine bay end?

I tried to take a photograph ...but it didn't show anything that would be useful...please attach the new wire right next to where the original wire was/is...make sure it is very well attached ...Ken

I tried to take a photograph ...but it didn't show anything that would be useful...please attach the new wire right next to where the original wire was/is...make sure it is very well attached ...Ken
Thanks, Ken. That’s what I was wondering: how exactly are folks attaching it so that it is “very well attached”? When I did the coat hanger method, I attached it by repeatedly bending the hanger around the same lever where the original wire is attached. With nylon cord/clothesline, I’m wondering what the equivalent is: wrap it a few times and then tie a knot? That seems less than secure - knots have a way of working themselves loose. Hence my question.

Thanks, Ken. That’s what I was wondering: how exactly are folks attaching it so that it is “very well attached”? When I did the coat hanger method, I attached it by repeatedly bending the hanger around the same lever where the original wire is attached. With nylon cord/clothesline, I’m wondering what the equivalent is: wrap it a few times and then tie a knot? That seems less than secure - knots have a way of working themselves loose. Hence my question.
Hi...I used a very strong and flexible wire...so flexible that it hangs down inside the car..(I now like the idea of an insulated wire I think it is a better way to go). In order to make it easier to use I had a spare handle that I attached to the wire...thus making it easier to pull in the event it was necessary to use...Ken

Hi...I used a very strong and flexible wire...so flexible that it hangs down inside the car..(I now like the idea of an insulated wire I think it is a better way to go). In order to make it easier to use I had a spare handle that I attached to the wire...thus making it easier to pull in the event it was necessary to use...Ken
A small cable clamp would secure it after a couple of wraps and not be in the way as a consideration.

Could you post a picture of how you have the second cable attached on the engine bay end?
I used mechanic's wire as the secondary hood release cable. Since I ran the mechanic's wire along side the primary hood release cable and through the same grommet, there is no chance of the bare metal wire contacting any live electrical contact points.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

IMG-6543.jpg

IMG-6550.jpg

Back