1957 Hood release handle came off

D

DennisD

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I pulled the hood release handle on my 1957 TBird and it came off in my hand. Is there a way to reattach this or do I need to get a new unit? If I need a new cable and handle can anyone recommend a site to purchase it from as I can't seem to find one?

Thank you in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you post, you will get more replies if you summarize what your post is about in your subject. "1957 TBird Hood Release Handle" has been revised. Also, you can omit the make & model since we are exclusively Ford Thunderbirds.

Hill's restoration sells the cable assy. for 30.00 Phone # 866-949-1956 There in Ohio

Check with CASCO or NPD or if your near California Mac's or Larry's

Hill's restoration sells the cable assy. for 30.00 Phone # 866-949-1956 There in Ohio
I had the same thing happen to a '55 several years ago.....drilled and tapped the handle...inserted an allen key....worked fine for years.
As a backup it is a suggestion to add a second cable.....hidden under the dash....to be used if necessary....Ken

I had the same thing happen to a '55 several years ago.....drilled and tapped the handle...inserted an allen key....worked fine for years.
As a backup it is a suggestion to add a second cable.....hidden under the dash....to be used if necessary....Ken
Thank you i ended up ordering a new cable from NPD.

For what it’s worth: as many folks have suggested, I briefly considered routing a secondary wire (like a metal clothes hanger) through the firewall as a backup in case this ever happens to me. I even went so far as to do it, running a metal hanger through the firewall (there happens to be a hole on the firewall of my ‘57 right above where the original cable goes through) and connecting it to the hood release mechanism. Took 5 minutes. But I ultimately uninstalled it after making sparks fly while routing it through the firewall by accidentally touching one end of the hanger to the starter relay. The idea of having an ungrounded bare metal wire running through there all the time just makes me too nervous. (Just speaking for myself: I know a lot of people have done it and are comfortable with it.). I ultimately decided to just buy the hood release tool from CASCO: https://www.classictbird.com/mobile/Tool-Emergency-Hood-Release/productinfo/TL9/. I’m sure that using actually using that tool would entail a lot of grunting, contorting, and swearing on my part; but it’s cheap, and having it gives me peace of mind without having the (perhaps irrational) worry about having a bare metal wire next to all of those live electrical contact points. (If the jury-rigged wire ever came loose from hood release mechanism, the end in the engine compartment would potentially be flopping around near the starter relay, the battery terminal, and the wires in that area. And I’m not skilled enough to be 100% sure that I could rig in in such a way as to be sure that that would never happen.)

On a separate note: how exactly is the release handle connected to the hood release wire? Is there something that we can/should be tightening to prevent this from happening? Or a connecting part that can be replaced preemptively as the connectors wear with age?

For what it’s worth: as many folks have suggested, I briefly considered routing a secondary wire (like a metal clothes hanger) through the firewall as a backup in case this ever happens to me. I even went so far as to do it, running a metal hanger through the firewall (there happens to be a hole on the firewall of my ‘57 right above where the original cable goes through) and connecting it to the hood release mechanism. Took 5 minutes. But I ultimately uninstalled it after making sparks fly while routing it through the firewall by accidentally touching one end of the hanger to the starter relay. The idea of having an ungrounded bare metal wire running through there all the time just makes me too nervous. (Just speaking for myself: I know a lot of people have done it and are comfortable with it.). I ultimately decided to just buy the hood release tool from CASCO: https://www.classictbird.com/mobile/Tool-Emergency-Hood-Release/productinfo/TL9/. I’m sure that using actually using that tool would entail a lot of grunting, contorting, and swearing on my part; but it’s cheap, and having it gives me peace of mind without having the (perhaps irrational) worry about having a bare metal wire next to all of those live electrical contact points. (If the jury-rigged wire ever came loose from hood release mechanism, the end in the engine compartment would potentially be flopping around near the starter relay, the battery terminal, and the wires in that area. And I’m not skilled enough to be 100% sure that I could rig in in such a way as to be sure that that would never happen.)
Interesting, how does this emergency hood release tool work?

I pulled the hood release handle on my 1957 TBird and it came off in my hand. Is there a way to reattach this or do I need to get a new unit? If I need a new cable and handle can anyone recommend a site to purchase it from as I can't seem to find one?

Thank you in advance.
Call Frank at Prestige Thunderbird located in Santa Fe Springs, CA. The number is: 562-944-6237. Prestige has had all of the parts that I have ever requested for my 57.

Interesting, how does this emergency hood release tool work?
I haven’t had a reason to use it yet (thankfully), but here are the instructions from their website: https://www.classictbird.com/pdf/TL9.pdf

I read the instructions and looked at the pictures, but I’m nonetheless having trouble visualized exactly how the tool would work. I may do a “dry run” at some point when the weather warms up, having the hood open with an assistant to guide me from above as to where the tool should hook on while I try to position it from below. That way, I’ll know how to do it if I ever need to.

Being overly cautious I checked the cable barrel and confirmed that the cable was bent over then went to the handle to insure it was secure on the cable but it appears that the handle is attached to a sleeve via a pin and not a screw nor allen.
Greased up all contact surfaces under the hood and handle sleeve which improved the smoothness. There is a lot of spring tension on the hood latch rod which impedes easy operation as you pull the handle, but lubricant did make it easier.

Last edited:
If it seems to take more pulling force on the hood release handle than it should to open the hood, check to see if the force is significantly less with the hood open. If it still pulls hard you probably need to lubricate the hold down ends. If it pulls easily you need to check that the hold down studs align properly with the latch assemblies and that the studs are well lubricated. Also, while you have the hood open, check to see that the hood release wire is bent 90 degrees after it passes through the retainer clamp. This is how it was done at the factory and the bend helps the retainer clamp by not relying on the setscrew only.

Here is the Hood Release Tool operating instructions from CASCO.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Hood Release Tool.jpg

I'm restoring a 1957, getting close to finishing. The hood release looked to me like it could be a nightmare so I made my own emergency release. The piece of metal 1/4" x 2 1/2" bolted fast to original release. the cable is 3/16". The cable is attached so it will swivel. Cable goes straight down, guided with 2 clamps. I made a 3" hoop on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 15

Thank you in advance.
All the T-Bird specialty suppliers (NPD, CASCO, Concours, etc.) have replacement cables. Were you able to open the hood? If not, you have quite a task ahead of you. CASCO has a tool that reaches up from under the car to engage the hood release.

Have a look at all the previous posts...if you decide to have a second/backup cable use a strong but very flexible one..so you will not 'short out' anything...a second cable works like a charm...and can be done without having to get under the car...I had one in my '55 and now one in my '57...works great and costs nothing!

My cable is coated with clear plastic so that won't happen. I probable have 3.00 in mine. How many times do you think you will need it. It's just nice to know it's there.

My cable is coated with clear plastic so that won't happen. I probable have 3.00 in mine. How many times do you think you will need it. It's just nice to know it's there.
Clothes line cable comes to mind. Tough tensile strength and plastic coated. May have to look into that.

Back