1957 Hi-Torque Starter Motor

Rogvh

Rogvh

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone installed a hi-torque starter motor on their 1957 312 cu. in. engine? I noticed they are available. It appears the pinion enters from the front whereas the stock comes in from the rear. If the ring gear is cut from the back, it looks like the H-T pinion would strike the sharp side of the teeth vs. tapered side. While it may work, it seems like it would be damaged.

Has anyone installed a hi-torque starter motor on their 1957 312 cu. in. engine? I noticed they are available. It appears the pinion enters from the front whereas the stock comes in from the rear. If the ring gear is cut from the back, it looks like the H-T pinion would strike the sharp side of the teeth vs. tapered side. While it may work, it seems like it would be damaged.
Just stick with stock. Once they went to 12V starting, problems pretty much disappeared. Why mess with what works. I have the same attitude about electric fuel pumps. Crank it until the oil light goes out and then pump the throttle to set the choke and prime. Lets the oil pressure build before stressing the bearings. Wise words from a race car engine builder. That's why they have separate cranking and ignition switches.

I have a high torque starter on my 54 Ford (312 engine, 4 speed). Been on there 10 years or more. Absolutely no problems with it.

I have a friend named Albert who use to rebuilt starters and generators. The original starter for the early birds is essentially the same as the one Ford manufactured since the early 1920's. Powermaster currently manufactures a "Gear Reduction" starter to fit Ford Y-Blocks that supposedly works far better that the originals. This may be my course of action since my bird is currently in the shop.

Why do you wish to change your starter? After knowing this, it may be easier to evaluate the proposed change. I do point out that I do not know anyone with a 12 volt Y-block who has changed to a "hi-torque" starter unless it was a race car with very high compression and a very lumpy camshaft. If you are having starter problems there may be a cause other than the starter itself.

Why do you wish to change your starter? After knowing this, it may be easier to evaluate the proposed change. I do point out that I do not know anyone with a 12 volt Y-block who has changed to a "hi-torque" starter unless it was a race car with very high compression and a very lumpy camshaft. If you are having starter problems there may be a cause other than the starter itself.
As on an earlier post, my starter is jammed. So, getting it off will be enough of a challenge let alone installing a stock type. The hi-torque being smaller should be easier to install.

As on an earlier post, my starter is jammed. So, getting it off will be enough of a challenge let alone installing a stock type. The hi-torque being smaller should be easier to install.
If the need is easier install that makes sense. I do not know if the price makes sense but the idea does.

I am putting a new Powermaster high torque starter on my 57. Do I need to get a starter seal to put on with it as there seems to be slight gaps at mount? Share pictures of your new high torque starter install and any tip or directions for this installation.

Attachments

• powermasterStarter.jpg
    powermasterStarter.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221027_181506.jpg
    20221027_181506.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221027_183259.jpg
    20221027_183259.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 11
The mating surface is the ground path for the starter
If the is a gap, I would investigate why

The mating surface is the ground path for the starter
If the is a gap, I would investigate why
The original starter did not have the seal on it, so I not sure if is supposed to. The new starter bolt holes line up to the mount holes, but the base of the new starter has slight gap at side and bottom if you look closely at the mounted picture with the new starter on. Do I have this on correctly?

It looks like you have it in correctly, I would not worry about the gap unless you are planning some serious off road traveling. Once you have everything working if the gap still bothers you a little clear silicone will seal it up.

Yep, I spoke with Powermaster Performance today, really helpful and knowledgeable tech support. The 9002 high torque starter is very much made specifically for Y block install and is pretty much a bolt on application. The rubber starter seal will fill that 1/8 gap, or you can use a sealer or even use some stick foam weather stripping around it. The seal is just a dust boot for the starter placement. So as harley said, unless your going off road or through big water puddles it's not a big issue

Back