1957 Generator Replacement and Voltage Regulator

Thunderbird Year
None
I've replaced the generator in my '57 as part of an AC upgrade project. At that time I removed all of the wires from the voltage regulator and applied heat shrink to them. And I reused the wire from the A terminal for the GEN light from the alternator. Now I'm in the process of installing a new main wiring harness. My question at this point is as long as the main 12V lead from alternator is not connected to the voltage regulator, can I reattach the other wires that are included with the main wiring harness? Or should I leave them off and apply heat shrink them? I was thinking that the install would look cleaner if I can reattach them to to voltage regulator.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Please use the four-digit model year in the subject of your future posts as prompted. This aids with Google & site searches.

model-year.jpg

jimntempe

Thunderbird Year
I'm leaving it in for authenticity.

What I might do if I wanted to attach the old wires just for looks is to disconnect the wires inside the regulator so there's zero chance of something going haywire if someone else happens to work on your car and thinks they need to hook up something to something.

Thunderbird Year
What I might do if I wanted to attach the old wires just for looks is to disconnect the wires inside the regulator so there's zero chance of something going haywire if someone else happens to work on your car and thinks they need to hook up something to something.
I did the same thing when I converted my 64 Fairlane to a alternator with built in regulator. Gutted the inside so there wouldn't be any type of electrical problem.