1957 Generator Light Start to glow dimly When Idling

TJShea

TJShea

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello;
Electrical issues are not in my limited skill sets. I am new to having a T-Bird. I just noticed that when at a signal light and idling the generator light will star to glow. I am thinking of switching over to an alternator. Was not sure ifIi had generator issues or this is "normal."

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello;
Electrical issues are not in my limited skill sets. I am new to having a T-Bird. I just noticed that when at a signal light and idling the generator light will star to glow. I am thinking of switching over to an alternator. Was not sure ifIi had generator issues or this is "normal."
Maybe you need be to adjust the idling, maybe it's idling too low.. A battery with more cold crank power. Check the timing.

Standard or Automatic??
You may want to check your idle speed (RPM)

the problem as I recall from my youth was in the voltage regulator. I do remember tapping the case at times to free the points and on some you were able to remove the cover and clean or adjust the points

Hello;
That is somewhat normal on an old generator. The brushes get worn and spring are too weak to keep them tight against the armature. You can rebuild cheap or do the alternator swap for reliability.

Thank you all for the info. I certainly appreciate the insights. I do have an automatic. Looks like this is a common thing. Most likely an alternator will be something I should add in the future. I am in the Las Vegas area, and the fellow who had the car before me added an electric fan to the front of the radiator to help with overheating. This may well be drawing quite a bit especially when idling. Thanks again.

Thank you all for the info. I certainly appreciate the insights. I do have an automatic. Looks like this is a common thing. Most likely an alternator will be something I should add in the future. I am in the Las Vegas area, and the fellow who had the car before me added an electric fan to the front of the radiator to help with overheating. This may well be drawing quite a bit especially when idling. Thanks again.
It's totally normal. Just make sure your idle in gear is at least 650rpm in gear and don't worry your battery isn't getting enough charge.

I switched mine over to a single wire alternator,
The regulator is built into the alternator and I removed the troublesome original regulator.
very easy swap.
Found one on EBay.
Came with a bracket for the Tbird
By coincidence, my 57 came from Vegas and came with fan in front of the rad.
I also had the Gen light coming on at idle at night with the lights on.

The one I installed was a conventional style alternator that required a different bracket, the one you show is very kool because it’s in the original style generator.
A little pricey but to keep the original look it’s worth it.
I paid $130 for a chrome alternator.
I know of several places that can convert the generator to an alternator to keep the original look.

i have the power gen alternator/generator above on 3 of my old cars. I LOVE THEM. Yes, they are pricey but in my opinion having the battery recharged in a shorter period and not having to worry about heavy electrical loads make it worth it to me.

I had a generator on my Ford when I was younger and got a voltage meter reading and adjusted the regulator until I got a better voltage out put when the car was running and the light was out while idling. This may still be able to be done if one can open the regulator.

That is somewhat normal on an old generator. The brushes get worn and spring are too weak to keep them tight against the armature. You can rebuild cheap or do the alternator swap for reliability.
Back in the old days if you where lucky you could just turn the idle screw on the carb for a little bit higher idle. Try the easy stuff first. Always worked for me and my buddies. Enjoy that Bird.

Hello;
My light started glowing when I lowered my idling

My light started glowing when I lowered my idling
I replaced the generator with a look-a-like Powermaster alternator. Easy swap out even for an amatuer mechanic like me. Works like a charm. No generator light at idle. More than enough power for lights and electric fan at night. When I put a battery tender on for storage, it shows battery near full charge every time after driving.

Back