1957 fuel pump not pumping

Blue Bird 57

Blue Bird 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Replaced the fuel pump in my 57 in Aug. 22, with a new carter one now it doesn’t seem to work, has gas in fuel filter runs for a while then dies, after sitting for awhile the filter fills with gas. Any ideas? Thank.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Any ideas?
Is this a trick question? Replace the fuel pump?

Replaced the fuel pump in my 57 in Aug. 22, with a new carter one now it doesn’t seem to work, has gas in fuel filter runs for a while then dies, after sitting for awhile the filter fills with gas. Any ideas? Thank.
Virtually all the new replacement fuel pumps made in the last 3-ish years come from china and are Defective in the box.
If you want to keep an original style mechanical fuel pump on the car find an older one that was made in the US, Canada, Mexico, and have it rebuilt at one of the few places that offer the service.
The chinese pumps are such poor quality they cannot be rebuilt. Replacing it with another new one will likely not be satisfactory, they all come from the same place, regardless of brand name.

Attachments

• fuel pump (1).jpg
    fuel pump (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Didn’t know the new ones were that bad. Has anyone found a good electric replacement pump?.

I ordered my 6V electric fuel pump from CASCO 9350ES $148.00

It mounts behind the driver wheel fender well and bolts to the clutch assembly bolt holes.

Just be aware the hose clamps they provide may not be good enough for a good seal around the fuel line you have to cut so you might wanna get better clamps!

I bypassed the mechanical pump and went directly, because in some cases, if you put the electric fuel pump in series with the mechanical pump, the pump diaphragm can fail, and fuel will be forced into the crank case. I left the mechanical pump fittings in place just in case the electric fuel pump ever failed on the road so I could do a quick hose swap. But it’s questionable the mechanical pump would even work since it’s not one of the better ones I believe.

The last two mechanical fuel pumps I ordered from Larry’s for $240ea. were a Chinese POS! Luckily, I return them and they gave me a refund!

Last edited:
There’s a *lot* of info about the issues with the newer non-USA mechanical fuel pumps.

In my case, I went with a rebuilt original USA mechanical pump. Runs like a dream…

Last edited by a moderator:
Send your old fuel pump to Arther Gould Rebuilders.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I second Arthur Gould for rebuilding the original fuel and water pumps. Used them many times for many old FoMoCo pumps.

Back