1957 Frozen Tachometer Gauge

W

WelshyTbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good evening, I have a frozen tach gauge that is stuck on 3500 rpm. I have just replaced the tach gear (that slots into distributor) and now am getting a change in rpm with acceleration. Unfortunately, the starting point is still at 3500 rpm, any ideas on how to zero out the tach gauge ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good evening, I have a frozen tach gauge that is stuck on 3500 rpm. I have just replaced the tach gear (that slots into distributor) and now am getting a change in rpm with acceleration. Unfortunately, the starting point is still at 3500 rpm, any ideas on how to zero out the tach gauge ?
The glass lens is a friction fit with curved tabs that can be lifted off giving you access to the face. I did that when I painted the needle with some of my wife's nail polish.
If the needle is now moving use may free it up. It's possible the needle slipped on the spindle when jumping around when it was acting up. With VERY light pressure you may be able to nudge it down like adjusting the time on an analog clock. Don't force it. If needed there are many shops that can rebuild it for you if it comes to that point. I used Tacoma Speedometer to rebuild my speedometer.

It's possible the needle slipped on the spindle when jumping around when it was acting up. With VERY light pressure you may be able to nudge it down like adjusting the time on an analog clock. Don't force it.

I would advise you to remove the tach needle. To do that you should grasp the needle with your fingers firmly at the center of the needle and at the same time lifting and twisting counterclockwise. To install you start with the needle straight up and press and turn counterclockwise until the needle aligns with the zeroing line on the face.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I would advise you to remove the tach needle. To do that you should grasp the needle with your fingers firmly at the center of the needle and at the same time lifting and twisting counterclockwise. To install you start with the needle straight up and press and turn counterclockwise until the needle aligns with the zeroing line on the face.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Uhh Nope. It worked with my clock and when I tried that with the speedo, The needle was frozen to the shaft. Basically I broke the shaft, had to pull it and have it rebuilt. PITA. If it can't be nudged then a rebuild is in order.

Are gauge lenses removable without removing gauges from dash???
I had the clock rebuilt now evr

Everything else on the dash looks terrible

Uhh Nope. It worked with my clock and when I tried that with the speedo, The needle was frozen to the shaft. Basically I broke the shaft, had to pull it and have it rebuilt. PITA. If it can't be nudged then a rebuild is in order.
The reason it worked with your clock is because the hour and minute are lightly fitted on their shafts, its the second hand that is splined to the shaft. The reason you broke the speedometer shaft by trying to move the needle is because the needle is splined to the shaft. I have overhauled speedometers, clocks and tachometers and that's why I said that to remove the tach needle you should grasp the needle with your fingers firmly at the center of the needle and at the same time lift and twist the needle counterclockwise.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

104_7586.JPG

104_7581.JPG

100_6693.JPG

Very helpful, Doug when the needle is pulled off and you put it back on and zero it, I would like to confirm that when putting the needle back you push and twist counterclockwise simultaneously until it reaches the zero point ?

Yes, when you install the needle you start with the needle straight up and press and turn counterclockwise until the needle aligns with the zeroing line on the face.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The reason it worked with your clock is because the hour and minute are lightly fitted on their shafts, its the second hand that is splined to the shaft. The reason you broke the speedometer shaft by trying to move the needle is because the needle is splined to the shaft. I have overhauled speedometers, clocks and tachometers and that's why I said that to remove the tach needle you should grasp the needle with your fingers firmly at the center of the needle and at the same time lift and twist the needle counterclockwise.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 20545

View attachment 20546

View attachment 20547
Doug, I did try to pull the needle strait off. No twisting. When I got the speedo back from rebuild the needle was loose and not oriented properly as it moved in transit. Just re-adjusted it by pushing it down while on the stop. Works perfectly now. '55s & '56s may have splined speedo shafts but the '57 does not.

Back