1957 Front parking light harness

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have been changing the wiring harness from the firewall forward, and am stumped by the turn signals. The harness pigtail I got looks like a simple clip-in from the rear and go. However, the bulb fixture in the car may be part of the potmetal housing for the turn signal. The rear of the bulb housing does not appear removable. And, behind the housing, there is no clearance to get the new one into place.

Has anyone just changed the harness pigtail, and installed it without taking the bumper and front end off the car?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph

I replaced my turn signal/parking lights. They came as a complete unit that was put in and attached from the front. The pigtail goes up through the holes in the inner fender to the junctions mounted under the hood.

I replaced my turn signal/parking lights. They came as a complete unit that was put in and attached from the front. The pigtail goes up through the holes in the inner fender to the junctions mounted under the hood.

It was my understanding that it was necessary to remove the front bumper to replace the thru signal housings in a 57.

It was my understanding that it was necessary to remove the front bumper to replace the thru signal housings in a 57.
I agree. In looking behind the bumper, I see bolts holding the pot-metal housing to the bumper. Cannot see how you could get to them without removing the bumper, which is not worth the trouble.
I guess I will just cut and splice the wires under the fender and go from there. Sure would like to use the shiny new bulb holders and wires that came with the wiring pigtail.
Ralph

I agree. In looking behind the bumper, I see bolts holding the pot-metal housing to the bumper. Cannot see how you could get to them without removing the bumper, which is not worth the trouble.
I guess I will just cut and splice the wires under the fender and go from there. Sure would like to use the shiny new bulb holders and wires that came with the wiring pigtail.
Ralph

Same thing I did. I also found that my LED bulbs didn't easily fit into the sockets and lock in place.. a problem I've found quite often with LED bulbs. I think they make them to metric sizes which are not exactly equal to the original dimensions.. or something, happens too often for my tastes. But I got them in and secure and the look good.

You can just replace the socket and pigtails
Support the housing and drive the old socket out.
Drive the new socket in
I silver soldered the new socket in place

You can just replace the socket and pigtails
Support the housing and drive the old socket out.
Drive the new socket in
I silver soldered the new socket in place
So, the new socket is not designed to be just slipped in place, and the old one must be firmly installed? Did you remove the bumper to get the housings out, and reinstalled?

So, the new socket is not designed to be just slipped in place, and the old one must be firmly installed? Did you remove the bumper to get the housings out, and reinstalled?
It is designed for a tight fit
I silver soldered to ensure good conductivity
You can remove it without removing the bumper
Although the new rubber boot is rather large and I increased the size of the hole in the bumper to ease the installation
Removing the bumper is not that difficult
Just nuts and bolts

@CSPIDY, thanks. I had looked at removing bumper, and it looks fairly easy, but I have had problems with the brace bolts to the chassis in the past, and don't want to disturb them. Not sure if somebody put metric nuts on SAE bolts, but they have been almost impossible to remove or tighten. The bolts from braces to bumper appear in-acessable in trying to replace on car.
You indicate removing "it" without removing the bumper. Did you mean the housing, or just the pigtail? Also, you mention increasing size of hole in bumper, or was that inner fender? In supporting housing to drive out old socket, you must have had bumper removed.

Thanks again, I am still thinking.

Ralph,

You can remove the parking light assembly without removing the bumper
Yes the hole in the fender
And bumper would be removed

Back