1957 factory body painting sequence

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
twstnshout

twstnshout

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Any information on the factory painting sequence? The hood, deck lid and doors must have been mounted. Were the skirts installed when painted? Were the head and taillight windows installed?

I had mine repainted a year ago and the doors, hood, deck lid were all removed. I also had completely striped the car so there was nothing but the body to paint. It is very time consuming but worth the time.

Proper re-paints are a different story. assembly lines were more concerned about efficiency and what would show. I'm sure somebody here has done a dismantle on original paint. Like tan lines you would see what was painted assembled or separately.

Any information on the factory painting sequence? The hood, deck lid and doors must have been mounted. Were the skirts installed when painted? Were the head and taillight windows installed?
I would doubt that the skirts were installed due to the welting installed on the skirts. The head light and tailights are painted as is the body where they mount. Thes three items would then be installed after painting. It is notable about the headlight doors that the fenders often needed some massaging to fit the headlight doors. That does give rise to the on or off painting question regarding the manner of painting the headlight doors but not the other two items you asked about.

Here is an article that will explain the journey our Thunderbirds took during the production process.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thunderbird Production Process - 1.jpgThunderbird Production Process - 2.jpgThunderbird Production Process - 3.jpg

The underside of the body is the same as body color?

Yes, the underside is painted the same color.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back