1957 Exhaust noise

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good afternoon , drove my stock 57 this afternoon about 20 miles to a local show with no issues. Leaving when I started the car I noticed what sounded like an exhaust leak. Returning home I looked over and the noise seems to be coming from the long black pipe on the rear of the intake that goes below the car by the bell housing. Any ideas on what may be wrong.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good afternoon , drove my stock 57 this afternoon about 20 miles to a local show with no issues. Leaving when I started the car I noticed what sounded like an exhaust leak. Returning home I looked over and the noise seems to be coming from the long black pipe on the rear of the intake that goes below the car by the bell housing. Any ideas on what may be wrong.
It sounds like you are referring to the draft tube. It is just for letting the crank case breath. It helps pull air from the breather cap by the thermostat.
Is it a tic tick tick sound or more of general loud noise from all 4 cylinders on that side? If it's a tick tick sound its probably a bad manifold gasket or a slim chance of a cracked manifold and I have even had a loose spark plug exhibit that sound. If it's more of a general noise I'd look at the connection to the heat riser valve or even a hole in the exhaust pipe before the muffler.

@JDS please follow the posting prompts on your future posts and include the model year to your subject. I added it.

model-year-TBF.jpg

It sounds like you are referring to the draft tube. It is just for letting the crank case breath. It helps pull air from the breather cap by the thermostat.
Is it a tic tick tick sound or more of general loud noise from all 4 cylinders on that side? If it's a tick tick sound its probably a bad manifold gasket or a slim chance of a cracked manifold and I have even had a loose spark plug exhibit that sound. If it's more of a general noise I'd look at the connection to the heat riser valve or even a hole in the exhaust pipe before the muffler.
Thanks for the reply. My first thought was the heat riser it’s new about a year ago but no apparent leak there. Car was running really well so pretty sure no loose plug. I’ll start again tomorrow check exhaust manifolds
Thanks again.

Back