1957 - E-Code All Original Value One Owner

A

AtlantaTBird1

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi All, My family is ready to get rid of the 57 bird my father bought new. It's got 20,000 miles and has never been redone. The car is all original and Rose Pink. It’s an E code, 312 with dual carburetor, power windows, power seat, automatic floor shift, telescoping wheel, manual brakes, no A/C. T&C radio, both hard and soft top, power steering, automatic, dual exhaust out the rear bumper. Here's a picture of it as it sits in my mother's garage. We're just trying to get an idea of it's value and how we should go about giving this a new home.
IphonePics 180.JPGIphonePics 178.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell your car on Bring a Trailing using our referral code and we will mention it in our weekly newsletter which reaches a lot of people!

Could go in a big auction too like Mecum. Some E-Codes sell for big money- https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf14/hershey/lots/r218-1957-ford-thunderbird-e-code/182032

Send it to a consignment deal. Most will detail and fix things it needs. We got great money at a consignment place for our VW bus.

Even sitting/w only 20,000 miles, things deteriorate with age. When was it last driven? It probably has fluid leaks and dry-rot rubber components. Rodent damage? I would expect to spend at least $2,000 going through things that need attention, particularly if someone else does the work. Once road-worthy, $75,000 is a realistic number, based on photos and your description.

Since this is a Minnesota car, is there any rust or bubbling paint especially around the bottom of the doors, or rocker panels and fender sills? Nice bird!

The car is a real beauty considering its age. It appears well preserve. By the way, why do you want to get rid of it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
book cheap flights

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• 1957 Ford Thunderbird E Bird Value.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Hi All, My family is ready to get rid of the 57 bird my father bought new. It's got 20,000 miles and has never been redone. The car is all original and Rose Pink. It’s an E code, 312 with dual carburetor, power windows, power seat, automatic floor shift, telescoping wheel, manual brakes, no A/C. T&C radio, both hard and soft top, power steering, automatic, dual exhaust out the rear bumper. Here's a picture of it as it sits in my mother's garage. We're just trying to get an idea of it's value and how we should go about giving this a new home.
View attachment 22127View attachment 22128
beautiful car. if it functions well and looks as good in person i would think you could get mid 40s to mid 50s out of it

Thanks for all your replies. It was my father's car, he bought it new and kept it the whole time. He just passed this past Jan and my mother isn't really interested in driving it. We have 8 siblings and it would be a shame to cut it up eight ways :oops: Actually everyone has their own family and don't really want to invest the money to keep it for themselves. The car has been driven minimally over the past five years. It's in a heated garage and has no bubbling or rust that we can see. All seals were done about 5 years ago when my father and brother brought it up to driving shape. I've checked into the consignment angle and plan on speaking with the family this weekend.

I think the consignment angle is best given that it’sa group of you selling it. The auction can be good but it can also be a little more involved and it’s really better if you really know the market and vehicles better.. consignment as mentioned there can be a bit more help you can get and you can bargain/haggle/take your time deciding a little easier and if you are coordinating 8 yeses that is probably a better route. She’s a beauty no doubt about it.. good luck on the end she’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay..

Oh, wow! I just wanted to come on here to tell you that this is the most perfect car I've ever seen. I'm in love!!
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you get every dollar it's worth.

Even sitting/w only 20,000 miles, things deteriorate with age. When was it last driven? It probably has fluid leaks and dry-rot rubber components. Rodent damage? I would expect to spend at least $2,000 going through things that need attention, particularly if someone else does the work. Once road-worthy, $75,000 is a realistic number, based on photos and your description.
I would agree with the above. But to just sell as-is to move on with settling an estate, I would expect to offer you no less than 40K as-is. Perhaps more after a road test.

A one owner ,two top Ebird with only 20k original miles should bring well above $40k. A completely original unrestored car should bring more then a restored one even of it needs some updating

Do a search on the Hagerty Web-site to see where E-Codes have sold and do the same search on Bring A Trailer. The car looks nice from a distance and the limited pictures. The car needs to be well photographed and that means it should be on a lift for a part of the photo shoot. As above, the 40K is if you want to "Get Rid Of" quickly, or a more calculated move is to have the car detailed and provide an exact list of the parts and what was done by your brother & Father to get this one back on the road. Then decide if you want to go to an on-line auction or via a broker. BTW, in my world of buying cars, previous ownership is key and a "one owner" car of this vintage is very attractive.

Always tough to lose a loved one. Must say though, your Dad had great taste in a wonderful car.

My car is an E-code with 3 speed and O/D (over-drive).

Last edited:
Its going to need a lot of work to achieve its value (new top, interior, some wiring, motor/trans seal, partial motor rebuild for modern fuel, paint buff and clearcoat), about $20-$25k worth. At that point its a $100k car in the hands of the right seller- a professional dealer in baby birds like Minter. Such a dealer would buy from you for about half.
I have a 57 D code with all options. It was rotisserie restored in 1993, an original car with 70k miles, then sat in heated cooled garage seldom driven until last year- when I bought it for $28k. I've put more than 10k into it since then, probably another 10k left to go. It draws a lot of looks and thumbs up partly because its bronze (not white). At this point I'd put its value at around $40k. Since yours is a low miles E, the $45k Virginia offer is probably about right.

I believe Thunderbirds are about to blow market open inflation & all I believe these beautiful cars are soon to be hot commodity 65000 I'd say considering they hard to come by and low miles

As a current owner of two E-codes and completed the restoration work, I have an educated opinion on them. Beautiful car. Color is not one of the popular colors, so that may hurt it some. I'm not a big fan of the consigners, only because many take a big cut from sellers and buyers. The car as it sits will sell easily for $50k now. As you can see by the responses, the pricing has a wide range. Difference between the big numbers you see and smaller numbers is frame off restorations. Frame off restorations can go for over $100K. Limited production options like three speed overdrive cars make them a little more valuable. Color just may limit the number/pool of interested buyers. But they are still there, just need to find the right one. Bring a trailer is a good site as I have seen some crazy buyers show up there, plus is can go pretty fast. For me anything over $50k would work as is. Just my 2 cents.

Back