1957 driveline noise issue

S

sre

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This car is a total frame off restoration. I ran the car on my lift thru the gears., worked and sounded like it should. Put the car on the ground and backed it out of the garage no noise. Put it in drive made noise moving forward. A day later I wanted to put the car back on the lift. When I backed the car up it made a noise. Going forward there was no noise. Just the opposite of the day before. I put it on the lift I had a little help at this point. I removed the inspection cover for the flexplate-torque converter. I had my daughter shift between reverse and drive. It sounded like a clanking noise coming from the torque converter.
Anyone with any ideas???
The transmission and complete driveline was rebuilt., however I have no idea who rebuilt the transmission.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just what noise are you hearing? Light or heavy? Have seen this problem on the many custom and classic car shows I've watched. I believe there is a flex plate on the fly wheel as opposed to the clutch plate on a manual and has caused issues.

You may want to inspect all the drive line connection and mounting hardware for tightness
This would include the flex-plate, universal joints, rear end u-bolts, shackle bolts, engine and transmission mounts.

Just what noise are you hearing? Light or heavy? Have seen this problem on the many custom and classic car shows I've watched. I believe there is a flex plate on the fly wheel as opposed to the clutch plate on a manual and has caused issues.
When we had it on the lift we used a big screwdriver to check to see if there was any movement in the flexplate, there was none. When you hear the noise it feels like there is a solid connection to the driveline. When sitting still with the trans. engaged in the direction there is no noise the engine RPM is 850 when you shift to the direction where the noise occurs the engine RPM drops to 550

Back