1957 door won't open

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New member need some help. I removed the weatherstrip from my driver door today, then closed the door. Door will not open now , there is movement in and out but latch will not release. Any ideas would be appreciated.
JDS

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you absolutely certain that the door is not locked? Move the lock button up and down a few times to make certain it is all the way up. Maybe someone will have a better idea, but if that doesn't work, I think yo may have to remove the door panel so you can get at the door latch mechanism.

Just curious.... How do you remove the door panel if the door is closed?

New member need some help. I removed the weatherstrip from my driver door today, then closed the door. Door will not open now , there is movement in and out but latch will not release. Any ideas would be appreciated.
JDS
If it used to open when the seal was on the door then I would guess you need to position the door as if the seal were there then attempt to open it. It may be a case of the latch needs a little pressure on it to release properly when opening the door. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it might be the case.

New member need some help.
JDS

Post a relevant title to get more responses.

Example- 1957BT BIRD DOOR

Becomes- 1957 door won't open

First one could mean anything. Thanks for posting . I revised your title.

Box cutter?
Yes, that would do the trick if you don't mind buying a new panel. LOL! Problem there is you still might not be able to get it open. I think I would try to open it from outside then if that fails I would get in the passenger side and slide across and try to open it from the inside first.

Thanks for all the comments, I went through the top and took a long slender screwdriver to minipulate the lever and was able to encourage the door to open. A little frustration goes a long way.

My door jams sometimes if I fiddle with the convertible top. Detaching the mechanisms on the jammed side does the trick.

Back