1957 door won't open

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New member need some help. I removed the weatherstrip from my driver door today, then closed the door. Door will not open now , there is movement in and out but latch will not release. Any ideas would be appreciated.
JDS

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you absolutely certain that the door is not locked? Move the lock button up and down a few times to make certain it is all the way up. Maybe someone will have a better idea, but if that doesn't work, I think yo may have to remove the door panel so you can get at the door latch mechanism.

New member need some help. I removed the weatherstrip from my driver door today, then closed the door. Door will not open now , there is movement in and out but latch will not release. Any ideas would be appreciated.
JDS
If it used to open when the seal was on the door then I would guess you need to position the door as if the seal were there then attempt to open it. It may be a case of the latch needs a little pressure on it to release properly when opening the door. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it might be the case.

New member need some help.
JDS

Post a relevant title to get more responses.

Example- 1957BT BIRD DOOR

Becomes- 1957 door won't open

First one could mean anything. Thanks for posting . I revised your title.

Box cutter?
Yes, that would do the trick if you don't mind buying a new panel. LOL! Problem there is you still might not be able to get it open. I think I would try to open it from outside then if that fails I would get in the passenger side and slide across and try to open it from the inside first.

Thanks for all the comments, I went through the top and took a long slender screwdriver to minipulate the lever and was able to encourage the door to open. A little frustration goes a long way.

My door jams sometimes if I fiddle with the convertible top. Detaching the mechanisms on the jammed side does the trick.

Back