1957 door check lube

Poppappy

Poppappy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 57 has a chirp when opening or closing either door. I’ve trie oil, grease, etc. Any suggestions on what to use and where to apply?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 57 has a chirp when opening or closing either door. I’ve trie oil, grease, etc. Any suggestions on what to use and where to apply?
Check the bottom of the door where the sill plate may be brushing against it. If you see scuff marks on the sill plate, get a mirror and try to see if there is similar scuffing on the bottom of the door. You may want to get new sill plates.

I'd look at the wheel and linkage attaching points of the door opening stop linkage.
I’ve discover the internals of the door that might be causing some chirping. Stuck the phone into the door cavity and noticed this spring and it’s carrier could be rubbing when you open your door as it uses the door check arm to stay position when open. The spring moves to absorb shock and provide a little pressure on the check arm. A light lube might help? It’s a touch blurry but you’ll see the mechanics behind it’s use

Attachments

• B84315F7-3313-4A18-9AF8-7771458CA230.jpeg
    B84315F7-3313-4A18-9AF8-7771458CA230.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 2
I’ve discover the internals of the door that might be causing some chirping. Stuck the phone into the door cavity and noticed this spring and it’s carrier could be rubbing when you open your door as it uses the door check arm to stay position when open. The spring moves to absorb shock and provide a little pressure on the check arm. A light lube might help? It’s a touch blurry but you’ll see the mechanics behind it’s use
These doors were always an issue. Bowing and twisting where the hinge adjustments just don't add up to the geometry of the door. On the doors I've worked with the chirping is usually the spring moving or the wheel binding a bit. Lube and use may solve it. I assume you have lubed the hinge pins.
My driver's door fits like a glove but the passenger door likes to bow out a bit at the bottom rear. Known problem.

Back