1957 Disc brake conversion kit with 15” wheels

Gearjammer

Gearjammer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’ve read numerous posts regarding disc brake conversion kits, but have not found one where someone has listed which kit # from which vendor they have successfully installed. I’ve spoken with Wilwood, looked on Summit, NPD and Speedway sites and haven’t been able to ascertain what I need. Any and all suggestions on whom to contact and which kit(s) are applicable will be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

All the t bird sites have one. They are pricey compared to wilwood and some others. (Because it's T BIRD).
I appreciate the question, because I'm looking too. I feel the early mustang 4 piston is probably the best option. Again, I haven't pulled the trigger myself.
I have found kits for the front, but rear kits are more difficult to find, even on the T Bird vendor sites. I hope someone has had success in installing a disc brake on the rear and can point me to their source.

I have a 1956 with Kelsey wire 15" wheels. I bought a kit on EBAY fpr $514.99 that included freight from Performance on line PN 160958173557.

It is a complete set. NO INSTRUCTIONS are provided so its like a puzzle. You pull everything off your front spindles and start figuring out what fits where. No holes to drill or filling to fit it all bolted up in 3 hrs. And a 6 pack. Has been on car since last fall and works great. I did not change master cylinder. Factory one cavity still on this car. New rear brake hoses as old ones plug up internally. i turned rear drums at that time. You may down size rear wheel cylinders one step if your car has to much rear brake. My friend did but I did not. This kit is not advertised anywhere. Kit fits 1955- 1956-1957 !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1956 with Kelsey wire 15" wheels. I bought a kit on EBAY fpr $514.99 that included freight from Performance on line PN 160958173557.

It is a complete set. NO INSTRUCTIONS are provided so its like a puzzle. You pull everything off your front spindles and start figuring out what fits where. No holes to drill or filling to fit it all bolted up in 3 hrs. And a 6 pack. Has been on car since last fall and works great. I did not change master cylinder. Factory one cavity still on this car. New rear brake hoses as old ones plug up internally. i turned rear drums at that time. You may down size rear wheel cylinders one step if your car has to much rear brake. My friend did but I did not. This kit is not advertised anywhere. Kit fits 1955- 1956-1957 !!!
Thanks for your response and the link. I’m also searching for a rear axle kit, which is proving more difficult to find. Did you also consider that, or just planned on converting the front?

Thanks for your response and the link. I’m also searching for a rear axle kit, which is proving more difficult to find. Did you also consider that, or just planned on converting the front?
I have plenty of brake power. With new hoses, turned drums , real good shoes car stops very well. I have arebuilt power brake unit hung on the car but it stops so well I never hooked it uo.

Back