1957 color-match for colonial white interior spray paint

S

southpaw

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
colleagues, my factory color interior is colonial white and whomever re-did the dash used a much whiter vinyl. i would like it to match better with the rest. i found a "Dupli-
Color for Fords" (Autozone), which i understand is a good and economical product, called "Wimbledon White" which really looks the same. does anyone have any experience with this product and color? thx Southpaw

Use your four-digit model year when posting. 1957. Updated. This aids with searches.

You have to understand that even if you find the right color in specifically vinyl paint, you'll almost have to take out the dash to do it right. Taping and painting will not suffice and make it look like a cheap re-color not to mention any overspray. If it were me I'd leave it as it is. Just wear darker sunglasses. Remember not all the original trim colors matched exactly and it was just accepted. I have a white on white '57 and the biggest problem is if I try to wash it in even a cloudy day it's almost blinding.

You have to understand that even if you find the right color in specifically vinyl paint, you'll almost have to take out the dash to do it right. Taping and painting will not suffice and make it look like a cheap re-color not to mention any overspray. If it were me I'd leave it as it is. Just wear darker sunglasses. Remember not all the original trim colors matched exactly and it was just accepted. I have a white '57 and the biggest problem is if I try to wash it in even a cloudy day it's almost blinding.
In regards to factory colors; by now there is hard to find an exact factory color match. If you have 5 or 10 Fiesta red or torch red cars next to each other it is likely that you will have 5 or 10 different torch red cars. Likewise with colonial white there is also a variance. I have a Colonial White '57 and my friend just had his wife's '57 in its original colonial white. He used a fender skirt that were concourse correct. Our colors are not the same even though Mine is matched to the original fender skirts. So go figure. When you get to the padded dash an exact match for you is even more difficult. the substrate, ie. the padded vinyl is different than your steel body. Tie that together with your white upholstery, I assume white since your dash is white. Are you positive that your upholstery is exact from the factory. Given all that the dash. should be matched to the upholstery. But it is not likely that you will achieve an exact match to the upholstery. either. Are you showing your car in concourse events in the original class? If so, then you will find out if your dash is satisfactory. Otherwise why worry?

Back