1957 clock not working? My fix

• Thread starter Dennis Williams
  • Start date
Dennis Williams

Dennis Williams

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have recently had my dash completely out of my 57 TBird. The clock was not working, I wondered why.
I sprayed it with a lot of WD spray as my theory was that it was very dry over the years.
I had it hooked up to 12 volts and the with a finger, spun the little brass wheel in the clock. I had to do this many times but the clock eventually kept working and still going.
I have since done the same with 3 other clocks from late 50's Fords.
Patience and persistence is the key with lot's of WD spray.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Dennis,

First of all I must commend you for performing the clock repairs yourself; most people would just send it out to be repaired. As you learned they quite easy to repair and half the fun of owing a classic car is doing the work yourself.

1955 and 1956 Thunderbird clocks were powered by a continuous turning slow motor, while 1957 and later clocks were electrically wound by a magnetic coil kicker that was tripped by a set of points when the main spring would wind down. Other than that the clocks works themselves remained mechanical. Given the extremes of temperature and the dirty environment it’s a wonder any worked at all, let alone kept time.

As you learned, proper lubrication is the key to repairing the clock, that and cleaning the set of points that winds the 1957 and later clocks. In the case of the 1955 and 1956 continuous turning slow motor clocks, proper lubrication is still the key, that and cleaning the two hair like springs that ride against the commutator.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The Commutator & Contact Springs.jpg

Oil Points.jpg

Dennis
TIming is everything - pardon the pun. I'm trying to repair my 57's clock as well.
Do you happen to have a photograph of the brass wheel from your '57 clock?
How much disassembly after removing from dash to access the brass wheel?
Finally, I'm wondering what you used as your power source for 12 volts to work on the clock outside of the dash.
Thank you Thank you!
David - Alaska

I tried to repair mine also. After removal it's easy to remove the back and you have access to the whole mechanism. I got it running but with all the maneuvering the bushings between layers would not allow precision they were so worn out. Beyond my expertise. Used jumper wires from the battery with allegator clips to test.

I don't have any pictures of a 1957 clock, but here are some of a 1955/56 clock. 1955 and 1956 Thunderbird clocks were powered by a continuous turning slow motor, while 1957 and later clocks were electrically wound by a magnetic coil kicker. Other than that the clocks works themselves remained mechanical.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

104_7577.JPG

104_7578.JPG

104_7579.JPG

104_7581.JPG

Back