1957 Cig lighter plug / Fuse

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Two weeks ago I had power thru the plug. Today - nothing.

Looked thru the manuals and can't see where the fuses are. Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Two weeks ago I had power thru the plug. Today - nothing.

Looked thru the manuals and can't see where the fuses are. Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
all 57 bird fuses are inline.

An "inline" fuse is in the individual wire feeding the various components. There are not very many fuses in the system and the cig lighter does not have one at all, it's powered directly from the battery. You may have a broken wire or the lighter itself has given up. You can trace the wire from the lighter, to the starter switch, to the battery, checking for voltage as you go along.

An "inline" fuse is in the individual wire feeding the various components. There are not very many fuses in the system and the cig lighter does not have one at all, it's powered directly from the battery. You may have a broken wire or the lighter itself has given up. You can trace the wire from the lighter, to the starter switch, to the battery, checking for voltage as you go along.
This is an older post, but I have to weigh in here...somebody is going to damage something if they mess this up.

The cigarette lighter circuit as originally designed IS protected (no engineer worth their salt would design an unprotected circuit like this). Per the parts manual, there is a *circuit breaker* that screws onto the back of the socket, part #14429, and then the power wire is attached to the post on *that*. It works; ask me how I know. BTW, it's resettable.

My question is...is the lighter knob itself lit? It appears to have a segment near the knob that is clear with some sort of light perhaps? Looks like mine isn't lighting if that's the case. Is it a bulb? Can it be replaced?

Thanks!

This is an older post, but I have to weigh in here...somebody is going to damage something if they mess this up.

The cigarette lighter circuit as originally designed IS protected (no engineer worth their salt would design an unprotected circuit like this). Per the parts manual, there is a *circuit breaker* that screws onto the back of the socket, part #14429, and then the power wire is attached to the post on *that*. It works; ask me how I know. BTW, it's resettable.

My question is...is the lighter knob itself lit? It appears to have a segment near the knob that is clear with some sort of light perhaps? Looks like mine isn't lighting if that's the case. Is it a bulb? Can it be replaced?

Thanks!

Mine is not lit.

Thanks!
Yes there is a bulb by the lighter. I think it's between the lighter & the clock. it illuminates both I think. Very easy to replace with a # 57 bulb. At least hat's for a '57. 55-6 were configured differently and have no knowledge on those.

Yep! I just went into the darkened garage and checked it, and yes, there is a bulb adjacent to the lighter, and the translucent piece on the lighter catches that light and illuminates the lettering. It's dim enough that it was impossible to see until pretty dark, when I could see the others, so I confused myself :).

All good now! Thanks, guys!

Back