1957 Chrome or stainless

C

cscolastico

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like to try my hand at buffing and polishing some of the trim on my T Bird. The trim is generally fine but has light scratches that detract from the trim. I am a novice so I am proceeding carefully. Is there any info on what trim pieces are chrome and what are stainless or aluminum? I have the shop and restoration manual. Any tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would like to try my hand at buffing and polishing some of the trim on my T Bird. The trim is generally fine but has light scratches that detract from the trim. I am a novice so I am proceeding carefully. Is there any info on what trim pieces are chrome and what are stainless or aluminum? I have the shop and restoration manual. Any tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Sweet, I'm glad you're willing to take on the task. Windshield and door trim along with tops are stainless, they will shine to like new with patience and time. As you move through the odds and ends you'll see what you're able to purchase(which are chrome). Good luck and remember patience and perservercing will make you king when it's complete

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
For brightwork I use four different products. All four work, but some better than others depending on what you're doing.

The first -- ammonia. This is a good cleaner, most effective on small parts that can be removed and cleaned individually. Remember I work mainly with radios, and this is good for bezels, pushbuttons, and knobs. As an aside, plastic knobs and parts can be cleaned with Bleche-Wite. Either one, spray on, clean with a paintbrush, wash off. Just one caveat -- Studebaker. Don't use harsh chemicals on those ivory parts used in Studebaker dashes. Use Windex or a mild soap, washing frequently.

Okay, second: Wheel cleaner. Spray container, look for the type that says danger -- corrosive. This has a mild acid which can indeed corrode some metals, but your stainless and chrome clean up great. Wire wheels -- perfect solution. Again, my main use is on radio parts; this cleans ground-in dirt better than ammonia.

Third: Nevr-Dull. This is a tin can full of cotton-like wadding. Pill off a little and rub it in -- watch that chrome come clean. This stuff is addictive -- start using it and you won't want to stop. It DOES leave a residue, so be ready with a clean shop towel to eipe it off and polish things up.

Fourth and not least: Simichrome polish. looks like a tube of toothpaste, and you can find it readily in any motorcycle shop. A little dab'll do ya -- put some on a shop towel and go to town -- it cleans and polishes chrome and stainless and brings out a real luster. I might add that Simichrome doesn't hold a monopoly on this stuff. I've tried other brands that work just as well. Simichrome is pink; other brands may be white. Hmm . . . I wonder if it CAN be used for toothpaste?

I've also found Simichrome to work on polishing plastic parts. I also have Novus Plastic Polish. Simichrome works as a "rough" polish; seems to do a better job than Novus. But I follow it up with Novus FINE. Those parts will shine like glass!

Hope these give you ideas.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
Thank you very much gentlemen for your swift replies. My window trim is a priority. Also the upper grill trim. Thanks for the tips on the polishing products, I'll certainly be looking into them.

be careful with the end pieces of the windshield These are chromed ! inners and outers !

CSPIDY, should I brave the attempt, I'll certainly post photos. a56 - Thanks, I thought those pieces look different

Back