1957 Chrome Cleaning Question

W

WelshyTbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just inherited a 57 T bird, It is in need of a full wash/detail. The chrome is rust free and just needs to be polished. Can anyone reccomend a tried and true product that is safe? Im also looking for something to remove some light corrosion on the rims and also clean polish etc...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just inherited a 57 T bird, It is in need of a full wash/detail. The chrome is rust free and just needs to be polished. Can anyone reccomend a tried and true product that is safe? Im also looking for something to remove some light corrosion on the rims and also clean polish etc...
Any good metal polish should work. On the chrome some recommend 0000 steel wool but I heard and tried using aluminum foil as the applicator. It works really well and doesn't scratch as it's soft enough. If the wheels are steel a wire brush & sand paper should do the job and CASCO has rattle cans of touch up paint that you can match the wheels to the body color. Good taping is required to keep it off the tires.

Just get some chrome polish,for the chrome parts. Not knowing what kind of wheels,you have. That's hard to tell you what to use. They have different wheel cleaners.

Simichrome paste is good stuff. Working on the chrome of my '64 with it now...

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll try the aluminum foil (Ward 57) - Ive seen great reviews on the Simichrome paste, apparently takes some elbow grease but well worth it, let me know how it go's (Red Drop Top). I'm running "T 1015ABK Wire Wheel With Black Center 15in" for the rims. Goldwing I believe they are steel but if you can recommend anything tried and true let me know.

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll try the aluminum foil (Ward 57) - Ive seen great reviews on the Simichrome paste, apparently takes some elbow grease but well worth it, let me know how it go's (Red Drop Top). I'm running "T 1015ABK Wire Wheel With Black Center 15in" for the rims. Goldwing I believe they are steel but if you can recommend anything tried and true let me know.
Elbow grease is your friend. Just be patient. There are many off the shelf cleaners and polishers that will work for you. Have not heard of simichrome but if the bikers like it it must be good. They can be even more fanatic about bling than us 4 wheelers.

As a follow-up...are there any compounds, liquids or other products that one should definitely NOT use on chrome parts? I know chrome is very hard, but it would *suck* to use the wrong stuff and end up with discoloration or worse!

Swatson from the reading I've done if your chrome is in good shape avoid polish with rust remover additives as they can sometimes remove the protective coating due to the acidic makeup. (Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover) etc.... . Agreed Ward 57 and I want my chrome to pop, been sitting inside to long collecting dust., thanks for the help.

Back