1957 checking transmission oil level

What is the procedure to check the automatic transmission oil. Is it in neutral when checking the transmission fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

How is anyone going to know what your topic is about when you title it "1957"? I've updated it. Please follow the posting instructions on future posts.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Shifting it thru all the gears (with the brakes applied) and letting it engage each one before putting it back in Park isn't a bad idea either.

Drive the car until it runs at normal temperature.
Stop the car with the engine at idle. Use PARK and hand brake.
Check the oil. Wipe it clean with a very clean microfiber cloth. Insert again (still at idle) and remove
Read the level. Must be above the HOT mark and just below the top mark.

Drive the car until it runs at normal temperature.
Stop the car with the engine at idle. Use PARK and hand brake.
Check the oil. Wipe it clean with a very clean microfiber cloth. Insert again (still at idle) and remove
Read the level. Must be above the HOT mark and just below the top mark.
There’s no “hot” mark, at least not on the transmission dipstick of my ‘57. (I’m not the OP, just chiming in.) Am I missing/misunderstanding something?

Last edited:
Anyway, drive it st normal operating temperature, then stop. Park. Hand brake. Still in idle pull the dipstick and check it must be between the marks for low and full. Better if at full but NOT passed this upper mark.

There’s no “hot” mark, at least not on the transmission dipstick of my ‘57. (I’m not the OP, just chiming in.) Am I missing/misunderstanding something?
Nope, Mine is the same with a stamped L line and a stamped F line. And stamped transmission Check at engine idle.

Back