1957 Carburetor Swap

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello From Nashville TN.
Recently bought a 1957 Thunderbird to keep her 1956 company. The 1957 has a Edlebrock carb that also sports a Weber stamping. The car runs rough and the carb looks a bit dodgy. I just replaced a Holly 4000 with a professionally rebuilt same unit on the 1956 and would juts as soon avoid the aggrevation of the teapot carb.
Any suggestions for a replacement for the Edlebrock/ Weber? Prefer a electric choke The engine is stone stock an OEM street performance is all I am seeking.
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
The Weber/Edelbrock carb is not a bad unit. For much less than replacement you can get a kit and do a clean up/rebuild. They're fairly simple to work on.

Please use the 4 digit model year in the subject on future posts which aids in site search and google search. I updated.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Hello From Nashville TN.
Recently bought a 1957 Thunderbird to keep her 1956 company. The 1957 has a Edlebrock carb that also sports a Weber stamping. The car runs rough and the carb looks a bit dodgy. I just replaced a Holly 4000 with a professionally rebuilt same unit on the 1956 and would juts as soon avoid the aggrevation of the teapot carb.
Any suggestions for a replacement for the Edlebrock/ Weber? Prefer a electric choke The engine is stone stock an OEM street performance is all I am seeking.
Phil

I've got a Holley 4160 with less than 50 miles on it that I bought new a year ago I'd be happy to sell you, plus it would come with the special fuel line that is required to clear the air cleaner. I bought it to replace the original 4150 on my '57, and then ended up getting my 4150 rebuilt, and the 4160 went back in the box. Looks just like a 4150, but does not have the secondary metering block, so it's a little easier to tune. It doesn't have an electric choke, though. It's got the thermostatic choke.

I've got a Holley 4160 with less than 50 miles on it that I bought new a year ago I'd be happy to sell you, plus it would come with the special fuel line that is required to clear the air cleaner. I bought it to replace the original 4150 on my '57, and then ended up getting my 4150 rebuilt, and the 4160 went back in the box. Looks just like a 4150, but does not have the secondary metering block, so it's a little easier to tune. It doesn't have an electric choke, though. It's got the thermostatic choke.
Thanks, just received a rebuild kit and a replacement electric choke for the Edlebrock 1405 i own, Give me a couple of days ti screwup the rebuild and I will contact you about your Holley.

Hello,
Recently added a 57 Bird , 312, auto, Vintage a/c and GM power steering. The carb was a Edlebrock 1405 that was hard to start, ran rough and had some leaking.
Replaced it with a fresher 1406 but have a bad flat spot on tip in. Is a 600 CFM carb too much for the 312? Anyone care to suggest a replacement?
Phil

Please use the 4 digit model year on future posts as it prompts. This aids with our internal site search as well as Google searches. Updating now.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Hello,
Recently added a 57 Bird , 312, auto, Vintage a/c and GM power steering. The carb was a Edlebrock 1405 that was hard to start, ran rough and had some leaking.
Replaced it with a fresher 1406 but have a bad flat spot on tip in. Is a 600 CFM carb too much for the 312? Anyone care to suggest a replacement?
Phil
A 600 should work fine. I just had a 1957 original carb. rebuilt by National Carburetors Inc in Jacksonville Fl. 904-636-9400 $229.00 plus tax EXCELLENT

The Edelbrock 1405 carburetor is not the problem. the condition of it is the problem. first clue; leaking. It may have been sitting long enough for the seals to dry our and thus leak. All you are doing with the 1406 is adding a larger carburetor of exactly the same design. You may take note that the out of the box Edelbrock 1406 is designed for the 350c.i. Chevrolet engine. I generally see that most people opt for the 1406 because it is on the shelf at the local parts store rather than order the 1405. Instant gratification! You may note that the high performance 271 horsepower 289, whic is an efficient engine came with a 415 or 450 c.f.m. carburetor. The Y block is not nearly as efficient, so why a 1406 Edelbrock for your less efficient engine. If you search the internet you will find a simple formula for determining carburetion c.f.m. need. It will be significantly less than 650c.f.m..

The Edelbrock 1405 carburetor is not the problem. the condition of it is the problem. first clue; leaking. It may have been sitting long enough for the seals to dry our and thus leak. All you are doing with the 1406 is adding a larger carburetor of exactly the same design. You may take note that the out of the box Edelbrock 1406 is designed for the 350c.i. Chevrolet engine. I generally see that most people opt for the 1406 because it is on the shelf at the local parts store rather than order the 1405. Instant gratification! You may note that the high performance 271 horsepower 289, whic is an efficient engine came with a 415 or 450 c.f.m. carburetor. The Y block is not nearly as efficient, so why a 1406 Edelbrock for your less efficient engine. If you search the internet you will find a simple formula for determining carburetion c.f.m. need. It will be significantly less than 650c.f.m..
Edelbrock's 1405 and 1406 are similar in many respects, but the company designed the carburetors to have different performance capabilities. For instance, Edelbrock designed the model 1405 carburetors to achieve moderate to high street performance, giving the carburetor towing capabilities. On the other hand, in order to give the 1406 carburetor greater fuel economy capabilities, Edelbrock had to design this carburetor to have reduced street performance potential than the 1405.

Back