1957 bird 312 idle problems

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a problem getting the engine to idle. New carb, adjusted idle . Compression checked all good. Adjusted timing ,new points,condenser,rotor. Have not replace fuel pump as the engine starts and runs fine at increased throttle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please use the 4 digit model year when posting, this aids with google and site search as well as similar post suggestions. Updated.

Did you change the carb due to idle issues? If so, I'd check vacuum. How much advance are you running, most Y blocks seem to like it a little higher than the shop manual.

One more possibility; Do yu have a road draft tube or pcv valve? A gunked up pcv valve can cause the problem idling but still seem to run fine when driving and then runs bad or dies at a stop.

I have tried adjust the advance , adjust to best by ear. Can you tell me how to check the vacuum please.
One more possibility; Do yu have a road draft tube or pcv valve? A gunked up pcv valve can cause the problem idling but still seem to run fine when driving and then runs bad or dies at a stop.
I will post a photo of the PCV Valve connection , I don’t see any valve just a hose. I will post this later today. Thanks.

Unhook vacuum advance to distributor and plug off line. There will be vacuum port in intake manifold, mine only has the one where vacuum pump enters. So I made a tee to add vacuum gauge

Two thoughts, you adjusted idle. Does that mean you adjusted the idle screw or the idle mixture screws?
Not being a wise guy but there is a huge difference. You replaced some ignition parts but didn't mention plugs, I have seen plugs that looked great but weren't. Sometimes a new set of plugs not alot of money makes all the difference.
Good luck, Tom

I have a problem getting the engine to idle. New carb, adjusted idle . Compression checked all good. Adjusted timing ,new points,condenser,rotor. Have not replace fuel pump as the engine starts and runs fine at increased throttle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Did you also adjust the two screws at the base of the carb that adjust the rich-lean gas mixture in your car at idle? If not, screw them both in "gently" and then back each out 1 1/2 turns. This should get you running, then you can fine tune the adjustments and the single Idle speed screw . How were you able to adjust the timing if the car wouldn't idle?
Good luck.

The
Unhook vacuum advance to distributor and plug off line. There will be vacuum port in intake manifold, mine only has the one where vacuum pump enters. So I made a tee to add vacuum gauge
I have tried adjust the advance , adjust to best by ear. Can you tell me how to check the vacuum please.

I will post a photo of the PCV Valve connection , I don’t see any valve just a hose. I will post this later today. Thanks.

I removed the PCv valve. All clogged up, think it has been in place since car was built. Started engine and the idle had smoothed out. While in the process I found a wire that was not connected to anything. It is colored yellow, there is a red wire connected to a tempurature sender and two wires connected to the coil and ballast resister. Any information on what this wire is for? Also I have not been able to locate a source for a replacement PCv valve, I could not find one on Hill or Concours. Thanks to everyone that has offered me advise on this issue. Great source for help.

A 57 T-Bird did not come with a PCV valve which is probably why none of the suppliers have one. Somebody added it at some point.

PCV valves did not come into use until the early/mid sixties. Thus were never OEM on 50s cars. all little birds came with a road draft tube coming from the rear of the valley cover. As a side note non-Tbird Y-blocks had a crankcase venting on the drivers side of the block.
Take the PCV valve to a real auto parts store like a NAPA store that is also a warehouse for the local stores. They should be able to match the valve for you.

I removed the PCv valve. All clogged up, think it has been in place since car was built. Started engine and the idle had smoothed out. While in the process I found a wire that was not connected to anything. It is colored yellow, there is a red wire connected to a tempurature sender and two wires connected to the coil and ballast resister. Any information on what this wire is for? Also I have not been able to locate a source for a replacement PCv valve, I could not find one on Hill or Concours. Thanks to everyone that has offered me advise on this issue. Great source for help.
I believe the yellow wire is for the oil pressure sending unit.

Back